Stomach pain, edema, loss of periods

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

Please bear with me as this may be long but I am desperate.

At Christmas I woke one morning with a severely distended and bloated stomach. I had heartburn but no acid reflux and also became constipated. I went to the doctor and he said it was likely dyspepsia - gave me a course of lanzoprazole. It eased a tiny bit but remained. 

I changed my diet to remove tomatoes and spice. The pain continued and I was booked for an endescopy which I'm still waiting on - gp now thinking possible tummy ulcer. It gets worse. I can barely eat and I get depressed. 

In the meantime, I haven't had a period since December. I had a brief bleed during which time I passed heavy clots and it ended abruptly. I noticed swelling in my legs just above my knees, it looks like two lumps, but I put it down to standing all day for my job. 

The stomach issues increase to the point where I don't know what to do; I have headaches and feel ill. So, after no help from gp I decide to remove gluten and dairy from my diet - the upper abdominal pain reduces. I'm having withdrawals from it but nothing I can't handle.

The swelling in my legs however has increased to the point that my knees feel like they're being pressed on - there's no pitting but they don't look like my legs. I am really, really scared now. I have veins showing in the backs of my knees but they're not rope-like.

I'm chronically constipated and this makes me feel worse. I can feel a lump beside my hip-bone on the left and don't know if this is to do with my bowel or my ovaries? I just don't know what to do. A light period started tonight.

My job is in catering and it stresses me out badly, so I don't know if this could be playing a role.

I'm going to check myself into A&E tomorrow because I'm now getting severely worried. Can anyone shed any light on this? Please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Also - I'm a 25 year old female, pescatarian, smoking only e-cigs, and only drink maybe 3/4 bottle of wine of a weekend. In good health originally, thin/slender, 5'2".
    • Posted

It sounds obvious, but is there any possibility that you could be pregnant?
    • Posted

Hi monaD

Yes! go to A & E.... you need and ultrasound scan or a ct scan to see what is going on with your uterus, ovaries and bowel. Your doc sounds useless so override him/her..

In the meantime when you have a chance to sit put your legs up as high as your chest with cushions under your knees this will reduce the fluid build up...how are your feet and ankles are they swollen? Don't leave anything to chance there are a lot of things going on here that need attention.......especially the lump in your side and the cessation of your periods and clotting. Go to A & E .a.s.a.p.......best wishes keep us posted....

• Posted

Hi monaD

Suzy Q21 msy posdibly be tight about a pregnancy..is this possible?....because the lump you are feeling on the left could be presenting an ectopic pregnancy which is serious and dangerous!...on the other

• Posted

hand could be an ovarian cyst or your bowel...go to A & E as suggested you need to be examined...best wishes and keep us posted....
  • Posted

Sounds obvious, but is there any possibility that you could be pregnant?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.