Stomach polyps and hiatus hernia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there

I had upper endoscopy Thursday and, first and foremost I had sedation and it was far better than without. I was up and off within the hour. So that was a plus.

They found a small hiatus hernia and some stomach polyps. No treatment needed as they are small but wondered if anyone else has experience of these?  I know what things upset the HH ie pickles, diet coke, Vimto, icing and top of the list wine but wondered what if anything the polyps are upset by?

Seeing my Gp next week to review my meds and expect he'll up my omeprazole. On the lowest dose at the moment and still get some burning. Also wonder if it's time for a change in meds. Been on omeprazole since 2007?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a 3cm HH & a polyps 

They removed the polyps during endoscopy and my HH was repaired during surgery I had for GERD REFLUX etc. I have been on every ppi for many years abd recently had the LINX procedure. I now have my life back and meds & symptom free

• Posted

I've been on omeprazole for 17 years 15 of which I have taken 40mg daily.  I have to be honest, if I were you I would try to have the polyps removed. This Linx procedure that Lovelane09 speaks about has great press, I only wish I could have that, so maybe you could look into that too. I'm pretty sure you would have to have your hernia fixed before you could have it done but to be pain and med free is every contributer to this forum's dream..
    • Posted

Lucinda your right A polyps is a potential precancerous growth which needs to be removed as for the linx it has totally changed my life it is a brand-new procedure for dealing with gastric problems they repair the hiatus hernia whilst they are doing the linx I realise I am so lucky. The criteria for the procedure well let's just say it took me nearly 2 years to be considered for it I had to have every test available from blood tests Scopes top and bottom barium swallow PH tests you wouldn't believe it also there are only three or four hospitals in the country who carry out the procedure again I was so lucky living in an area were the pioneering surgeon in the UK practices it is not a good thing to be on medication for so long and they have just realise now that this can cause Barretts syndrome if I can help in any way or answer any questions you only have to ask
    • Posted

Thanks Lovelane. Unfortunately it looks like I wouldn't be able to have the Linx procedure as I had a Nissen Fundoplication about seven years ago so the area where the bracelet goes is full of folds where the fundus of my stomach has been wrapped around the base of my oesophagussad

I'm afraid it's PPIs for me.

• Posted

Ohyes, isn't that the op they did prior to LINX ?  Just before I went under, my consultant asked me if when he gets inside to do the links and there are problems would I have the that you had ? 
    • Posted

Sorry was dictating last message.     Should read LINX NOT links oops

• Posted

Also when I asked him about it and he told me it was a five hour operation and the implications I decided it wasn't a decision you could make two minutes prior to another operation also I had heard that you were not able to throw up or belch?     So Lucinda what are the options for you now if any of my last set of meds were lanzoprazole but over the yrs I've had them all and some lol, oops another mess I am sorry it's lucinia not lucinia, what a beautiful name
    • Posted

Yes, it was all the rage before Linx came along. It did cure my daytime refux but not the nighttime episodes. They would have had to tie it so tight I wouldn't be able to eat solids. You're right about not being able to be sick; I always carry metacolpramide around with me just in case - it's brilliant for dismissing nausea. Burping is less of a problem. Lucinia was my mum's name - I've always loved it.
    • Posted

Thank you lucinia,   Could they not reverse it ? So, how are you now ?

i had my op on. 17 June so still early days. I've agreed to be part of a 3 yr study as it's so new a procedure I'm also on a Facebook page which was set up in the Usa. I do have really bad burps which can be embarrassing but I'm hoping my consultant will be able to help when I return for my post op follow up in just over 2 weeks

so, are you uk or us ?     My names paul by the way

• Posted

I am due for a review in the next few weeks (I'm UK by the way) so I am going to bring up the subject of the Linx system and ask if the fundo is reversable although my GP thinks not. I have to take 40mg of omeprazole a day or else I really suffer. Even with the 40mg my symptoms aren't fully controlled. My GP wants me to to double it to 80! That's eight times the maintenance dose! I've refused which is why I'm seeing the gastroenterologist soon. This has all been going on for nigh on 20 years. I'm Paula by the waywink
    • Posted

Hi paula, I was diagnosed with gerd, reflux, aesophagitis, HH, ulcers, and all things gastric over 20 yrs ago. I've been on Tagamet Zantac denol denol tab losec imeprazole domperidone lanzoprazole ....shall I go on lol...

they seemed to keep me in check til about 2 yrs ago when the meds simply stopped working so I got a referral and took me this time to have all the tests and eventually assessed suitable for LINX, the critaria is sooooo tough though so I guess I'm lucky, also I happen to be in the area of the pioneering uk surgeon who started it all in the uk.    I'm in Devon 

• Posted

We have similar stories. I had a HH and ulcers, gastritis, duodenitis with 50% erosions of the oesophagus. PPIs have helped enormously but stopped fully working a long time ago hence the fundo. I've also had my gallbladder out so now bile reflux has been thrown into the mix. I sometimes get a bit down about it all especially as my mother contracted cancer of the oesophagus and bile duct which were diagnosed too late. Interestingly, she had almost no symptoms - just a little heartburn now and again for which she sucked a Rennies!  I like to think that the PPIs are protecting my oesophagus to some degree from erosion, slowing down the potential progression to Barrets. There's a lot of PPI bashing on this site but I hate to think where I would be without them. I'm not sure how I would have got through the last 20 years.
    • Posted

Barrett ... Scary or is it just the fear factor ?

i know that without ppis for me over the yrs I would have been unbearable so I'd never knock them. Rennies, now there's a name from the past lol. As I recall that's all people took, that and gaviscon 

youve certaimly been through it paula     Thank you for sharing I hope maybe we can support each other.   Whereabouts are you ?

• Posted

I'm in Reading although my partner and I plan to move to the highlands of Scotland in a couple of years.

When my children were tiny the idea of Barrets scared the living daylights out of me. Now, nearly 20 years on I'm less scared but still on my guard. I think knowing the kids are old enough to care for themselves (just) helps.

I would be interested in seeing how you progress following your Linx procedure. It looks perfect for nocturnal reflux sufferers as you need to swallow and set off the peristalsis to force the magnets apart. I'm glad you are experiencing some respite.

• Posted

I worked and lived in reading for over 2 yrs in the 80s oh memories lol

i was back there a couple of yrs ago how it's cha ged

so Scotland ?  Pardon the pun but do you have LINKS there or just somewhere to go and hide away from all the madness ?

• Posted

Definitely hiding away from all the madness. I'm an artist and there is no finer place to be. The Scottish light is amazing.

Sorry for hi-jacking your discussion Wendyredface

• Posted

Oops me too, maybe more apt to pm ? Wendy you can join in after all it's your original post
    • Posted

So you managed to resist the Siren's call of Reading in all its glory!
    • Posted

By the skin of my teeth, lol I remember all the old haunts though 

I enjoyed it but never really wanted to settle there, I literally lived in the George pub for 9 months and had many a crazy night in caversham I lived in purely on Thames and worked in London street by the stream

there was also what they called a fun pub at the time named clowns

• Posted

Purley's great - it's not really changed that much. I'm in Caversham. I don't remember the Clowns though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.