Stomach Ulcer? Gerd? Possible Cancer? Please Help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 21 years old.

College student.

For the past 7 months I have been having on and off problems with my stomach.

My symptoms are a burning/pain in my upper abdomen. Nausea, occasional dizziness, burping.

In last October, I had a barium swallow exam where they looked at my esophagus and stomach.

The doctor told me he found Nothing alarming, a bit of acid reflux the most.

He also told me that He's pretty sure I have some anxietyssues as well.

(I'll admit I am stressed out ALL THE TIME, and I'm always constantly worried.)

This school has been one hell of a roller coaster for me.

I just find it unpleasant because to this day I have the same problem.

I felt pretty nauseous and dizzy today.

But it was weird because it was recurring. It would be pretty bad at one point, then I would feel okay, then it would come back, then go away and so on.

But it's not like this everyday.

I might have some bad days,

But there are some good ones.

But I'd also like to add, that in the seven months I have been having this problem, I HAVE NOT thrown up once, I haven't had any blood in my stool whatsoever, and I don't get any fevers.

I'm just, really scared.

My biggest fear is that I have stomach cancer.

(In this case I'm hoping it's a stomach ulcer.)

This worrying, it's taking control of my life.

Everyday I wake up, and I think to myself,

You're dying.

I just wanna feel normal and go back to living the way I used to.

Please help.

Anyone with similar experiences/symptoms?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mathew. It does sound like a stomached ulcre to me as I had the same symptoms. After my procedure I was prescribed omopryzal which helped enormously, it stops the acid reflux, giving the ulcer time to heal. I also suffer with stress and anxiety which is a good cause for stomached ulcers
    • Posted

Omopryzal.

I've never tried that!

I was given pantoprozole and it worked for a little bit but then after a while it wasn't effective as much.

I also take zantac Which helps pretty good with the heartburn but not with the nausea.

Is there anything in specific you do to relieve your symptoms?

Any certain foods/drinks you consume? Or excersizes?

Thank you for your input btw. smile

• Posted

I avoid rich foods and fizzy drinks, nothing to spicy. I used to have to take an omopryzal every day now I just take it when needed
    • Posted

Hi Matthew,

I am one month in my stomach/duodenal ulcer treatment (negative h pylori) after upper endoscopy I am only 23 years old, young like yourself and am baffled by how this happened, I assume its all the drinking in college but who knows. I have been taking 40mg protonix for one month and I feel a lot better. I haven't gotten a burning sensation in my stomach for the past 3 weeks (until today ironically very mild though) and I hope this is a speedy recovery. 

The things I do which are helping or are doing nothing:

-Drink 1 cup of cabbage juice (nasty taste I add one apple to cut the bite)

-Avoid eating 3 hours before sleeping (If i get hungry i eat oatmeal  the fastest digesting food that WILL fill you up) P.S. this will make you drop weight fast I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks just by doing this

-Avoid spicy, tomato, alcohol, and fried foods

-Drink 1 gallon of water per day 

-Exercise 4-5 times a week (This is just me as I'm trying to be ripped,  some cardio might do great for you)

-Eat fruits and veggies throughout the day

I have all the natural herbs like slippery elm, DGL, probiotics ready after I get off the PPI to start using but for now I only use 1 sliperry elm tablet at night if I feel pain which is rarely ever.

• Posted

Were your symptoms similar to Mine???

What were they like?

(Before you went and had your endoscopy.)

And yeah I've been taking Zantac Which Does help with the burning, but I still get nauseous every now and then.

I've never tried the cabbage juice before, but I'm Definitely willing to.

I haven't gone running this week, but I did it every day last week and I was able to do it without any problems. So I'll probably do it again either later on today or tomorrow.

I have noticed that drinking alot of water does have the capacity to lower the severity of the symptoms.

Thanks for replying man.

• Posted

Yeah, very similar. I had burning upper stomach, burping, no nausea, rarely , no dizziness but brain fog (which was the main reason I knew something was wrong). I have no idea if cabbage juice is helping or not because protonix is very effective for me but it can't hurt drinking it once a day. The doctor said my ulcers and symptoms are not bad I guess according to his other patients so just try to keep a positive attitude. I recommend you get an upper endoscopy to be sure. 
  • Posted

hi matthew.

sorry to hear about your symptoms have you ever been tested for helicobacter pylori or h-pylori for short as your symptoms sound very similar to mine i had constant heartburn burping feeling sick burning under my rib cage and constantly feeling tired mine was put down to stress as i am getting married but you know when you just dont feel right in yourself i had an endoscopy but this bacteria can be found in a breath test stool sample or blood test just speak to your doctor then this can be ruled out  have your gained weight? hope this helps or if you have any more questions just send me a message take care

• Posted

Hello,

And Yes right before I had my barium swallow exam, I was tested for the H Pylori infection and I came back as negative.

I honestly just wanna know what it is.

After my exam my doctor said that it was nothing I needed surgery for. My barium swallow was last October, but my symptoms haven't really changed, as in got any better or worse,

And I would think in that 7 month period till now something would have drastically happened if I had something right?

As for my weight,

I've pretty much been the Same ever since this all happened.

But Yes,

I am VERY stressed out alot, worrying about passing my classes and taking my national exam, and other things going on in my life. I'm pretty sure it doesn't help.

Thank you for your feedback!

I really appreciate it.

• Posted

hi matthew.

sorry i wasnt much help for my heartburn i also avoid fizzy drinks spicey foods fatty foods and alcohol .

has the doctor ever spoken to you  about having an endoscopy.

i also exercise to help with my stress levels and find this can help with the way i feel. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.