Stopping cocodamol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on cocodamol 30/500s for 2 years thar the doctors prescribed for me as I hurt my back and have had xrays mri physio and they cant see any damage. My job involves me on my feet 9 hours a day and i really do feel in constant pain. But i need off these drugs. I take 6 to 8 a day and i feel guilty and ashamed for relying on them. Im fed up feeling i neeed them and the tiredness that comes with them. I used to enjoy going out with friends but now i just stay home. They really are ruining my life.

I spoke to my doctor about wanting to reduce and she didnt seem to bothered and just said ok we will reduce you to 15mg 1-2 four times a day. I didnt feel she understood how hard that was going to be. Maybe tough love is what i need. I have bought ibuprofen, paracetamol, buscopan and peppermint oil capsules to try help with whats to come. I am determined to do this but so afraid. I was just wondering if anyone has been through this and can offer me advice.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your suffering but firstly don't feel ashamed you haven't done anything wrong.

I would suggest tapering down very slowly, maybe cutting down 1 tablet per week to keep any withdrawals to a minimum, also the tablets themselves could be contributing to your pain and you might find that once you get them out your system you may start to feel better, they will definitely be making you feel tired, why not try swimming or walking, anything to keep your mind and body active also it will build up your strength and low moods/fatigue...

Keep hydrated and eat well this will all help and maybe some supplements from a reputable health store(they will advise you if you tell them what your doing). If your still in pain once you've done all this then maybe try acupuncture, chiropractor or maybe physio.

You can do this you've already took the first steps. Let me know how you get on and where here to help you through this, good luck 😊

• Posted

Hiya, well done for wanting to come off these tablets and I hope that you are coping with the withdrawal symptoms. I've read on many forums that the worst is over after the first week.

I have been on them for 5 years now and like you, I feel like they are ruining my life, I used to be so full of energy before I started taking them and I can barely do any exercise now and am just tired all time. The doctor never told me that I would become addicted and I've tried many times to come off them before, only to go through the pain and misery and then give in. I am on day 2 of going cold turkey and the pain in my legs just won't go away.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and let's stay positive as we can do this.

I'm here to support you if you need to talk to someone as I know what you are going through.

Take care

• Posted

Well done for wanting to get off them smile

Do not feel ashamed, the addictive nature of this medication is grossly understated! I was only taking it for about 14 months and it took me several attempts to break free of them.

I wish i could tell you there is some special method to get clean but at the end of the day the main things you will really need are will power and the faith that what you're going through will get better. The first 2 weeks will be hell. Night sweats and tummy upsets. Anxiety and restless leg syndrome.

The good news is that after 3 or 4 weeks you should be almost back to normal. The tiredness and anxiety will go after about 5 weeks.

Drink plenty of fluids and try to eat healthy. If you need help sleeping try to avoid benzos (that could end up being another problem entirely). Antihistamines should do the trick until you can sleep on your own again.

Good luck and don't quit quitting! If you fail just try again! You can do it xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.