Strange new symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone help? I have terrible insomnia, initially caused by my hyperthyroidism and have been taking temazepam to help me to sleep. I am concerned that I may be too dependent on them and so asked my doctor for something else so I could alternate meds and not get dependent. He gave me zopiclone. It worked well (only taking a quarter dose), so was initially very happy. But then I started getting jaw tension and teeth grinding/sensitivity. Now I have pain radiating from above my front teeth to between my eyes and forehead. I thought it was the zopiclone, although it's not listed as a side effect. But I haven't had a zopiclone now for over a week and it's no better. So I am now wondering if it could be my Graves disease, or even carbimazole. Does anyone else have this? I am on 20mg carbimazole and have been for three months now. My last bloods, 5 weeks ago were:

TSH < 0.01

?T4 17.9

I am having my next bloods done on 7th July. Thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have never had that in reaction to medication.  But I did have a TSH of less than 0.001 for two years even while on medication and this did not improve until I added supplements, especially Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  I found out I had a lot of vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies and when I added these back in as supplements, this complemented the medical treatment I was getting and all my labs normalized and I was able to lower my medication dose significantly
    • Posted

Thanks. I have L-carnitine but not acetyl-l-carnitine. I guess I am going to have to get some.
    • Posted

Just a word of caution.  If you get the Acetyl-L-Carnitine, when it is combined with even a low dose of Methimazole (Carbimazole) like 5 mg, it raises your TSH extremely quickly and lowers your other thyroid  values.  In other words, you can become HYPOthyroid very quickly.  So you need frequent monitoring and even discontinuing it or lowering the dosage of either it or your meds in order to avoid becoming hypo.  I am grateful I found it as it really did help me get into remission but I have seen too many others who take it and don't monitor it or adjust dosages and being hypo is just as bad as being hyper.  I would not take more than 1000 mg of it, preferrably 500 mg.  Also watch out for how you feel on it.  I tended to get palpitations if my levels fell to the bottom of the normal scale.

• Posted

My eyes was in pain and trobbing a lot when i my TSH is at <1. I haven't taken any sleeping pills because am afraid to be dependent on it.  I agree with Linda about the CArnitine, need to make your TSH in range to sleep a bit better.  Keeping TSH in range is the key, dont up your dosage in carbimazole but add vitamins... Ask your endo for VitD, Magnesium, Carnitine(ifpossible) blood test to check if your defficient some of those.

• Posted

That's really interesting about the sleep being influenced by the TSH levels. Thank you that really gives me hope that I might not always be a hopeless insomniac. I don't have any choice but to take sleeping pills though because I can't afford no sleep. I get up at 6.30 for my job and I also have to pick my son up from work at 11 pm so I would be unsafe to drive if I don't sleep. It's bad enough with the pills as the most sleep I get is 4 hours a night, but usually less. It's torture.

• Posted

i just remembered when I wanted to get a good night sleep I used to drink awarm Chamomile Tea before going to bed. So for you after you pick up your son. Dont buy a lot, try it and see if it works for you.
  • Posted

One of my hyper symptoopms was insomnia, I would be awake the entire night, not a wink of sleep. And I am someone who can sleep deeply at a nightclub with my head on the speakers! Of course one of my (many) other symptoms was anxiety, I had convinced myself I had this rare disease where you never slept again and died a horrible death!!!

But once I started treatment (Carbimazole) I was back to sleeping like a log again. I would talk to your doctors about your concerns. Especially if you are someone who doesn't usually have sleep problems.

• Posted

Thanks, Elise. I have never been a great sleeper, but now I suspect I have had intermittent hyperthyroidism for a long time now. I did start sleeping a bit better initially when on carbimazole, but now it's bad again. My problems used to be falling asleep. Now I fall asleep okay (with meds) but if I wake I can't get back to sleep unless I have had a zopiclone. At least I got 6 hours last night as decided to take a zop. I want to be off these pills, but just don't sleep a wink at present if I try. I need to get my son through his driving test so I can stop being a taxi late at night then I might have half a chance!

• Posted

Hi evergreen, I can related to the jaw tension - this started as soon as I started my carbimazole a week ago. It feels as if I suddenly have toothache, and it radiates all up my jaw (which is very painful) and up through my ear.  I do not know if this is a side effect, but now I'm wondering because you mention a similar thing.   I'm sorry I can't help with the insomnia, because at the moment I have the opposite problem of being tired all the time and  all the pills seem to be knocking me out cold at night.  I hope it improves for you. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks. That's really interesting about your jaw tension. I do wonder if it is the carbimazole or even the change in T4 levels. I only got it after I had been on the carb for 8 weeks though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.