Strange symptoms, scary diagnosis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all. New user. I'm 26, pretty active and healthy (I gym often and move heavy weights without much issue). For about 5 weeks I've had some strange symptoms (which I've researched).

Muscle twitching - first in just my big toe and shoulder, but now in most places.

Literally today, standing in a cubicle after work and could feel myself swaying (only ever so slightly) backwards and forwards. Got home and checked it out in the mirrror, I am actually swaying as opposed to just feeling like I am.

ALS/MND? I hope not. What else could it be? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just to add to this:

I've not seen a GP yet, I will do next tuesday. I have just been researching the symptoms, and getting pretty worried.

I have a bad lower back. This is an old injury that usually goes away with physio every few months when it flares up. It is still here after recent physio, I have back ache sitting down and pains down my right leg. This has been this way for a lot longer, say 10-12 weeks give or take. I was considering seeing a chiropractor, and seeing what my GP might say.

I'm not sure if my lower back injury is related to the symptoms of muscle twitching, etc. If it's a spinal injury then technically that could affect signals going from my brain to my muscles (or so I've read) - I would hope it's this as I could probably get over it with the right treatment.

As I'm new, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I was just hoping to speak to people with similar symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Gareth

I have had a similar symptoms in the pass. The consultant was not too worried about it as some people just sway slightly as a matter of course, even if you have never done this, it will just start doing it. The problem comes if you have a few nerve problems.

I had a nerve induction test and it did show up a few problems with the nerves going into my legs. As I was also havng considerble pain and with problems walking, they did investigate if I had MS, seem's this came back negative.

Unfortunately with me, they really never got to the bottom of this. I take Tramidol every day for the pain, but that is about it. My symptoms are slowly getting worse, but its just something I have to ignore and just get on with my life as best as I can.

What I will tel you is, if you are not happy with the way you are being dealt with, ask for a second, third or even fourth opinion.

Its like anything in life, its who you talk to at the time yo see a doctor about your problems. Some will just fobb you of when others will acyualy do things until they actually find something or they have exhausted every avenue.

I am just sorry that you are having to put up with thi at such a young age, also I am sorry that I probabaly have not been much help.

You might just find that unfortunately the doctors just can not find out why you have these problems. I SINCERELY HOPE THEY DO.

Best of luck and keep me informed on what you find out.

Best regards

Kev

• Posted

Thanks for those words kevin. What condition (if any) do you have?

So far I have had my bloods done, seems this came back all clear. Seeing as I don't know for certain I am going back to my GP tomorrow to find out when they can refer me to the neurologist. They said they would do this if my bloods were normal (I knew they would be).

Given my symptoms I think it's either what I said it was, or MS. I went to the gym on monday for the first time in a while and was worried I was going to faint. I think this set the tone for the session as I had a 'weird feeling' throughout my body the entire time. My arms also feel a bit weaker, as they have done for a couple weeks. I hope this condition of mine can be diagnosed ASAP because it is causing me great anxiety - I'm not saying that to try and get sympathy but I think feeling that way is worsening my symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Gareth

Sorry I have not been in touch, been away.

What have you found out so far?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.