Stress and frozen shoulder?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Does anyone else think there is a link between stress and frozen shoulder, or is it just coincidence that the last 6 months have been extremely stressful and for four of those I have suffered with a stiff painful shoulder that has recently been diagnosed as FS ?

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, ABSOLUTELY for me!  I was healthy young woman until I experienced enormous stress at work for quite some time and the next thing I know, this FS hit me out of the blue one day and life as I knew it changed.  I believe stress hormones play a big part.  I have since recovered, but I have to say it was the worst physical/mental experience of my life! Take care as I have enormous sympathy for any one going through this.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, I am convinced it is stress related and yes probably hormonal as it does seem to effect mainly women of a certain age😳.i am pleased to hear you have recovered , how long did it take? Did anything help with the hellish pain?

I have read some of the treatments that people are going through on hear and it quite frankly terrifies me.

• Posted

Hi to all,

I dunno because my other shoulder is playing up now so not got a clue.

Dolphin500

• Posted

Oh. No Irene I'm sorry to hear that , and to be honest that's a fear of mine to... My other shoulder is aching but I'm hoping it's just down to overuse at the moment ..,
  • Posted

I've read too many stories here about FS sufferers getting it again with the same or other shoulder, so I hang from a bar every day for just a few seconds which is believed to prevent this god forsaken condition from coming back.
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer that made me smile 😊 I probably wouldn't of been able to hang from a bar prior to this God forsaken condition let alone after its all over , but I will bear that in mind ,,,

Cindy

• Posted

In a word....Yes.

I still have some lingering  effects of the horrific and nightmarish "Frozen Shoulder" or Adhesive Caps as I call it sometimes.

I went through a period of profound stress...almost a season in Hell and during the course of this period my arm began to exhibit bizarre and painful symptoms along with the classic loss of movement.

With the myriad horrors going on in my life the arm seemed then seemed an almost minor nightmare or petite nightmare.

But, after a few months the petite nightmare had become a virtual "Frankenstein's Monster"  of pain and suffering.

I do not have diabetes, I am not a female, no health problems ever and in great shape and svelte as well.  I had no injury preceeding or ever in the arm afflicted.

So, Cindy, Yes is the my answer to your question.  Stress and the  stress hormones released unquestionably are a contributing factor.

At the risk of sounding sexist but without the ubiquitous "P.C." pansy fears that most are now evincing in public---The fact that about 70% of those afflicted are females should point even a hasty observer towards the conclusion that there is a hormonal component to the condition.

Females are profoundly "hormonal creatures" (not a negative concept by the by) and are known to have bodies, minds and lives largely governed by hormonal factors.

For the record...my case was prima facie mystifying to my surgeons because I fit  none of the known risk factors for Adhesive Caps.

I also do not drink, do not use drugs, do not take any meds, do not smoke, do not eat fast food, do not live la vita loca and I take super great care of myself along with a super great diet.

The only thing that could explain my case is Stress, and the hormones from stress as causal for the nightmarish case of Frozen Shoulder that I was hit with and that still continues going on 3 years later.  

I would say that my case is still about 10 to 20 percent "bad" and that I have recovered about 80 percent of the way it was prior to the onset.

I hope this helps Cindy...you have my empathy and hope for your recovery.

By the by there is no "easy way out" of this despite all the palaver about various "fixes".  There is no real magic pill or silver bullet.  Some folks have success with the Manipulation under Anesthesia but beyond that you will have to stretch and hang and pull and be pulled and stretched by P.T. folks and just "Grin and Bear It".

Bobby in The United States of America 

• Posted

cheesygrin Ha! Love this description of females! Ha!! Your post made me smile Bobby!

Signing off as one hormaonal menopausal woman!

razz

....and yes I think it could be connected to stress, hormones or just being an "out there, go get it person" Normally grabbing life with both hands - now limiting it to just the one!

• Posted

Hi Bobby thank you for taking the time to write your lengthy reply it did make me chuckle 😀. Yes we are hormonal creatures!!

I do strongly believe it is a stress related condition, as like you I keep myself trim, I eat well ; avoiding processed foods etc I do not smoke and only drink on occasions. I probably do not exercise enough (and most certainly couldn't at the moment). I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering as I had hoped that due to my lifestyle I would come through this nightmare fairly quickly , but that sounds like that may now not be the case😤...

I am trying out some reiki natural healing to see if that eases the symptoms , but yes I believe you are right, the process has to be worked through; it can not be stopped or changed (just eased) . The thought of having any kind of surgery absolutely terrifies me , so I will be avoiding that at all costs..I am only 4 months in at the moment though... If it carries on past the year I will probably be begging for surgery..

I am trying to remain positive, what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger ...

Cindy

• Posted

Gambarimasu Cindy san!

Joyful to have spread some mirth to you and others re my insight/views/intuition on hormones, stress and the odious "Frozen Shoulder" malady.

My view regarding hormones and stress hormones do not preclude or disallow the reality that males (not a news flash!) also have hormones! (who knew?) and that we (manopausal males) are also subject to increased levels of hormones and hormonal changes.

My view (as stated prior) is that there is most likely a Hormonal "COMPONENT" to the malady of Adhesive Caps aka "Frozen Shoulder".

I defy anyone to explain rationally why 70% of cases afflict women?  I could be ironic and jocular and mirthful and say perhaps "bras" are the culprit?

Alas, no, whether modernity and the secular humanistic culture likes it or not all homo sapiens have hormonal causal factors in our lives both good and bad.  Sometimes the hormones get out of sync or imbalanced with too many bad hormones or too few good ones.

That males have more  muscle mass (on average) and that females nurse babies from mammary glands are undeniable facts of life.

Calling this to the fore and mentioning such is not a denigration of males or females.

The problem is that secular humanists and angry people want to "play pretend" that the two sexes are the same when it fits their goals and agenda.

"Cafeteria thinking" is deeply flawed and is employed by those who "game" discussions to "fit" their "play pretend" outcomes.

Again, any reasonable and intelligent theories that explain why 70% percent of cases of "Frozen Shoulder" afflict females would be welcome for discussion here and in research hospitals around the world.   So, to the carpers, nattering nabobs and critics--bring on rational theories or even reasonable conjecture.

In short or (pardon the dark pun) to encapsulate...There is most likely a Hormonal "COMPONENT" to the dread malady and Stress creates bizaree Hormonal imbalances in the human body.  

The imbalanced hormones "may be" a causal factor and there may be a hormonal component to the affliction.

Bold type is easier on the eyes...I don't want "Frozen eye" to afflict me.

No easy remedy for Adhesive Caps beyond possibly "manipulation under anesthesia".  Outside of that remedy effort one must stretch, pull and tear the hideous Adhesions until the arm is allowed to move normally.

I am a male and I most likely had a "hormonal imbalance" due to some degree of "Manopause" (around 50) and due to stress "Hormones".

Sincere best to you Cindy with the malady you have been afflicted with.

I can suggest C.S. Lewis' phenomenal tome "The Problem of Pain" as a help to you and the works of Albert Schweitzer (the great protestant preacher medical doctor/musician.

John Henry Cardinal Newman's works are great (your countryman like Lewis) but some of it is erudite and will require effort to follow.

Gambarimasu desu yo!

Bobby

• Posted

I think mine was stress related.  I am a fit 47 year old with three young children.  Last year work was very intense.  During the summer I had the flu and ended up with pneumonia.  That's when the problem started....  nothing preceeded it other than stress.  And I was (and am) still having periods.  Stress is my only tie....
    • Posted

Bobby:

Are you are writer? If not, you certainly should be. What an incredibly on point, yet funny description of women; yet what you said is so true! Thank you for making me laugh!

I have MUA in T minus 13 days. Hoping and praying that it gives some relief. Truly believe that stress is a major factor in my frozen shoulder.

Be well.

• Posted

No i do t think its stress related, i wouldnt say im a stressy person or suffered stress i am fairlybor was fairly active bit not now with this to painful i spent 14 years heavy lifting lsst 5 doing repetative over stretching for hours on end thats caused mine

X

• Posted

Yes Cindy. I think you could be on to something there. I have had a very stressful life changing year and I often wonder is my frozen shoulder a result of this. My physiotherapist who is excellent by the way, has a theory that we carry our stress in our left shoulder. I feel that she is right.
    • Posted

Hi Teresa

Thank you it was just a Theory of mine so I thought I would throw it out there, it certainly made sense to me; but the doctor did not want to commit to that.; although they do not know exactly what causes this awful condition? There is so much information out that; which can be mind boggling conflicting which most certainly does not help😳. I obviously carried my stress in my right shoulder though .

Good luck with yours Teresa hope all is well soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.