Stress reduction and remission

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone here make a connection between stress and the flare-up or remission of their symptoms?

I know my SS appeared after a series of very stressful/traumatic events and I'm trying to find my path to remission.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shira, yes I do believe stress has a lot to do with flare ups , I had a serious flare up this May after my mom passed away.  I end up with pneumonia and all the pains that came with it . 

My body has not recovered up to now. My eyes always swollen and my joints aches. 

Just wonder when I will go on remission.

• Posted

I can definitely understand how that would cause you much stress Sweetness. Not an easy task to calm the system after such a trauma, but I'm sure it's a process and you'll eventually get there. Perhaps some counciling or stress reduction techniques would help.
  • Posted

Yes, definitely stress can aggravate or trigger symptoms. There are different areas of your life that can affect your autoimmune disorder: stress, meditation, nutrition, toxins, sleep, exercise. You need a good balance of sleep, meditation and nutrition. Try to manage stress and reduce or eliminate exposure to toxins. If you can buy a book that goes into detail about autoimmune problems I think you would find it helpful. Medications are often considered to be a chemical too, so avoid when possible. Of course sometimes they are necessary, but if they are not, then avoid. They are hard on your liver.
    • Posted

I can attest to nutrition and triggers, when I eat a proper diet I feel great with no pain especially if I eat pasta with gluten I can barely get off the bed in the morning with too much joint pains . But it's very difficult to find certain things that are certified gluten free. So diet is the key to feeling great and manage your symptoms . I will try to eat healthy and meditate as I cannot do strenuous exercise.

Thanks .

• Posted

As far as meds being toxic, what is your take on vitamin supplements Morelia?
    • Posted

Hi Shira,

I think it is important to know if you are deficient in any vitamins and or minerals, particularly, A, D, and E, which have been shown to have some link to autoimmune disease. Of course absorbing all your vitamins and minerals naturally (through food), is best. But if you are deficient, then I think it's important to use a supplement at least until your levels are within a healthy range. If you do take vitamins, I think it is good to consult a naturopath or nutritionist to make sure you take them in a safe way. And just like anything else, there are quality and poor quality vitamins, so ask an expert. I personally use a recommended women's multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D and have to supplement with iodine because my last results indicated that I was low. In addition, I eat a healthier diet, and I try to manage stress, moderate exercise, and I work on reducing my exposure to toxins. I really think it is important to tackle all areas, not just one area.

• Posted

Thanks Morelia, I'm already taking vit. A & D & B12 & omega 3.

I have not had good experiences with naturopaths so I manage it all myself.

Vit. E is my one neglected area so far. Is it that important to take supplements for vit. E?

• Posted

Shoes, if you research your condition you will see that SS is psychosomatic and stress causes it to flare up.
    • Posted

Really Sue? I have not read that SS is psychosomatic anywhere...
    • Posted

This condition you would see that it is not psychosomatic... But stress can cause it to flare up. And there are articles that say a symptom could be psychosomatic OR could be a a symptom of Sjogrens. Sjogrens is cause by your immune system attacking your bodys cells and glands. 
    • Posted

Precisely Liv.

You could deem this illness psychosomatic only if you label all illnesses in this world "psychosomatic" since the body-psyche connection always plays a part in every illness in existence.

• Posted

HI Shira, I have always thought s/s is connected to stress, as I have had loads of stress, but have met other sufferers that say they've not had any,

so i can't really say,  maybe one day they will come up with a solution xx

• Posted

I guess everyone has different triggers Maureen. For some it may be perhaps stress and for others hormones, nutrition, viruses, etc.
  • Posted

There is no doubt that stress is likely to aggravate any condition as it stretches the immune system to cope in other ways.  There are no easy answers since we are all different in cause and effect.  My SS was low level and undiagnosed for many years until this, and secondary autoimmune conditions, were kick started by very basic medication.  It was a struggle to convince the doctors but changing this drug has made a huge difference and I am hopeful that with time and careful management all will settle down again.  Good luck with finding your way. 
    • Posted

Hi Pamela, what medication kick started it for you if you don't mind me asking?
    • Posted

Enalapril prescribed for hypertension definitely affected my Cold Agglutinnin tendancy, I can't say for cetrain whether this is true of SS, or possibly SICCA, as I have had rather too many procedures in the past year which required medication.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.