Stretching Exercises Pre Op

Posted , 14 users are following.

I follow the posts on the Forum very carefully, and have noticed that a lot of peple are experiencing a lot of pain in their upper thigh, front and back, knee, calf, ankle, etc.  In fact throughout the entire leg and buttocks. 

Two years ago, my physio gave me a set of exercises, the usual program.  However, they include stretches that exercise the entire hip and leg.  What I am wondering is whether or not pre ops are still following the exercises, right up to the day before the op is due?  I am no expert, as I am still very much a "beginner!"  But, something is telling me that it is very important to keep going on the exercises, right up to almost the last minute, because stretching and maintinaing those muscles that are not working correctly because of the bad hip, need to be toned up, so that recovery is not quite as trauatic post op?

I am wondering what the post ops have kept up on their pre op exercises, and if they have, have they found that the exercises helped after their ops?

I have a suspicion that it is a great temptation to give up on the exercises when discomfort becomes more intense, and it is felt that the exercises are no longer benefiecial?  What do you think?  

3 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes susie,

in theory you are correct. In practice we get so fed up towards the time of our op after waiting so long that we kind of go past caring and give up. Having said that, I did a lot of trips to the baths before the op and did a lot of exercises in the pool to keep the good leg toned. I work on the idea that the exercises can't do any harm if they don't do any good. Also it keeps the rest of your body ticking over ready for the op. So basically keep plodding on!rolleyes

• Posted

HI Sjirley:

That is what I thought - people give up without realising that the exercises are still beneficial.  

On, I intend to plod!

Best wishes,

Susie

• Posted

I tend to agree with you Susie I have carried on with the pre-op excercises as well as the new post op ones twice a day and touch wood have had no pain in my legs. I just get an ache in my buttock and lower back and the occasional pain in my lower front leg. Have been to physio today (almost 4 wks post op) and she has told me how to bend safely and given me a couple more excercises. Also to massage my thighs and around the incision.
    • Posted

Many thanks, Julia:

That is very interesting and bares out what I have been thinking.  I think the buttock muscles are more diffciult to keep toned, other than the odd "clench," etc.!  Lower back pain is probably because you were having to walk from the hip, above the damaged hip for so long, and so now it is protesting, too.

Good for you for not giving up, and now you are reaping the rewards!

All the best for your continued recovery,

Susie

• Posted

I wasn't given any exercises to do with both hip op before and after as my consultant said the best exercise is Willingham we go shopping I only use my crutches, I tried the wheel chair once and that was enough because half the time I couldn't have a look at things because Graham will only push me to the places he wanted to go lol
    • Posted

Tjhink you situation is unusual, as I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis, and sent to a physio who gave me the exercises over two years ago, now.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Tend to agree, there's a lot we can do for ourselves by keeping up the regular exercise regime. It doesn't have to be a marathon, little and often seems to be the best.

I also get the front of upper thigh pain - it's a real nuisance, making me limp when walking.  When sitting I am totally pain free.

Graham

• Posted

Hello Graham:

I am glad that you are so positive and helpful given your set back.  I hope that the revision will not be as much of a bother to recover from as the hip replacement.

Do you do the exercise that I was given:  sit on edge of bed, pull both knees to the chest, and then let the operate leg down so that the weight of the leg, pulls the upper thigh muscle?  I do this for a count of 60, but if you have not been doing it, you will have to work up to it at the pace that feels the most comfortable.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Thanks, the body of opinion is that recovery from the revision should be easier - at least I know what I'm in for this time.

Not given that exercise - not possible to bring knees up to chestnow as it breaks the 90 degree rule.

Some of my new exercises are really taxing - not painful, but real hard work lol

Just think about doing a one-legged squat on your operated leg !

Best to you,

Graham

• Posted

Oh Graham that reminds me of my first hip op earlier this year when my physio suggested one legged squats as she said I was doing well. I did try (honest!) but the reality of my general fitness and not being exactly svelte (😕) I gave up on them or they on me after I nearly toppled over lol!

Gently does it little and often thats what exercises works for me and walking.

I am going to Hip school exercise classes for a few weeks which should be interesting ...... 

Linnet x

• Posted

I am also not exacty size zero - and I had to lose 5 stone (70 pounds) to get down to a point where my doctor would recommend me for THR.

I am also off to hip school next week (training on various pieces of equipment around the room with other hippies) - then 4 weeks later, I'll be in for that second operation.

Graham

x

• Posted

Wow losing 5 stone thats impressive! Im sure thats really helped with your recovery even though you have to go back again in January. You will be so much fitter and well prepared for the next op.

Let me Know how you get on at Hip School. 

Keep smiling 😀 especially whilst you are doing one-legged squats

Linnet x

Linnet x

• Posted

The 5 stone was hard - took 18 months, but I had the backing of my surgery nurse - she was so inspiring.

What amazes me is that I have just weighed myself, and I haven't put on any weight since the operation.

Graham

x

• Posted

Hi Graham:

I had forgotten about that rule!  There must be some way that the quad can be stretched.  But, I think that the pre op exercises, which is the one that I described to  you, are designed to stretch out that rather large muscle.

Take care of your self, ad thank you for you ongoing help and support,

Susie

• Posted

Simple, stop eating cheese sandwiches and pork pies for lunch, and substitute with salad and fruit - then reduce portions (easier said than done with my wife's cooking).  Repeat for 18 months.

cheesygrin

Graham

• Posted

HI Graham:

I have found that counting calories is a geed way of losing weight as you can eat what you want as long as you keep to the amount of daily calories.  But, that does not mean license to eat unhealthily though!!!!  The positive thing about counting calories is that it give yiu a pretty good idea of what you are putting into your body after you have lost the weight.

Best regards,

Susie

• Posted

Yes, it does work- so replacing all that bread, cheese and pork pies for lettuce, tomatoes and lean meat was like counting calories.  The good thing was that my stomach has shrunk, so it's now even easier to eat less.

Graham

• Posted

Good work.  I used to eat a lot of cheese, Tickler being one of my favourites.  I do like my porridge in the morning, and that carries me through to my main meal.  I need to go on a diet, right now, as I could stand to shed about 10 pounds.  Find countig calories quite fun and keeping a running balance, so that if thre are calories keft at the end of the day, and I can either carry them forward to the next day or have something indulgent, as long as I don't overspend!

You are doing so well on all fronts, Congratulations!!!

Susie

• Posted

Last year I was the only patient in our GP Practice to manage to lose weight over the Christmas week !

As you say, making counting calories fun helps.

Need to check the wording - a fat free yoghurt can have double the calorific value as another one that is not 'fat free' !

Been out ona walk and on the exercise bike today - just to try to keep the pounds off.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham:

I am planning a diet, but today i drove to our loal Waitrose to pick up some of their ready meals because I have not tried them, yet.  They are pretty high in calories, though.  I am thinking of the few days when I come out of hospital with no outside help, and need to eat something.  They are pertty good, compared with the other two, who shall remain nameless.  Might be worth spending the extra and bringing in sme quality frozen veg.  

We used to make our own yoghurt when I was still in the UK.  Boiled up some mik, and then added it to live yogurt and let it sit on the radiators, as I recall!  Those were the days.  Young, and living in the Chelsea/Kensington area and having an absolute ball.  Probably should not have gone to New York so young, as I worked to complete burn out.

I will try to get out for a walk as the winds around here dropped today and it didn't rain.  Just to see how far I can get without pain.

• Posted

We had a chinese takeaway last night - but we could only eat half of it - gone are the days I could have scoffed 3/4 of it on my own lol

That must be the first takeaway for 5 or 6 months - ok as a treat, just not every day.

Graham

• Posted

They're on my iPhone keypad. Next to 123 symbol is a smiley face symbol . There. Xx👍🙄😜
    • Posted

Ive got them on my ipad but it has an earth (or is it a rugby bal!) icon.🌐

I love emojis! 😍

Linnet x 

• Posted

I've got an iPhone ( on android too) next to 123 symbol is a smiley face symbol . Click on there. 👍😜🙊😀
    • Posted

I paid a visit to Waitrose yesterday to test out their ready meals.  Had an Italian meal, linguini with spinach and mushrooms in a rather rich sauce and had some broccoli with it. Rather paid for the inguini dish this morning - too rich!  Bought another two or three that I will try out.  I am reaching the point fast, where a supermarket shop is becoming impossible because of the distances that have to be covered to pick up certain items.  They call it "merchandising/marketing, I call it "torture!"   I don't like ordering for delivery as the so called "fresh" vegetables are usually the "use by" date, and there is no way that I can get through a head of broccoli, etc. by myself.  It's all geared toward the family shop!

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Yes, it must be frustrating for single people when the supermarkets are not in the least bit interested in serving single portions, they are only interested in bulk selling for bulk profit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.