Stroke History

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a left side stroke 3 years ago (Nov 2011) Age 77. I completely lost my memory, not knowing my son, or my husband. My husband noticed my speech was disrupted " speaking gobblygook" he said. I was taken to A&E and admitted to the Stroke Unit following a CT scan. I was asked many questions that I was unable to answer. 

My memory returned gradually over the next few days. It was very frightening, but the staff were brilliant. The Consultant tried to reassure me I hadn't got a tumour, which I originally thought I had. My reasons for thinking this were constant severe headaches and loss of balance with several falls.

He arranged an MRI which showed the stroke area clearly. I was discharged once my BP and other symptoms had returned to an acceptable level. This was 3 weeks later.

Since then I have continued to suffer memory lapses and massive loss of confidence, with panic attacks for which I had counselling.

Since that time I have had several TIA's, not sure of the numbers, have suffered with unexplained sudden blackouts, initially requiring another stay in hospital until my BP returned to normal. 

I am terrified of having another stroke, because I still have lapses in memory. 

I am on Warfarin and blood pressure tablets. My INR stays fairly constant in the 2.2-2.5 range. 

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who can share their experience and any suggestions/tips for how to improve my memory and confidence levels.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pauline, there is one thing we all share and that is the feeling of fear and terror. As for memory problems, yes I can say it happens to me also. I now know that before I was taken to the E.R. I had been having these symptoms for a few weeks so I now know this was not the first but it was the most severe. You know what Pauline it's OK if you are forgetful every so often. What I do is sit and take a breather and it usually comes to me and I'm like ok now I remember. It's OK. Sometimes I have to giggle at myself. Why not. Enjoy every minute. I would be very pleased to keep an ongoing update on eachothers health. The best to you Pauline. Julie
    • Posted

Hello again Julie,

Sorry it's been so long, but the problems continue. My memory doesn't seem to be improving. I have tried following your advice, however since losing my sister recently, it hasn't been good. Most embarassing is when I forget peoples names, or simple things in normal conversation.

It seems everybody else seems so positive and I feel such a failure. I don't want to depress anybody but I am just being honest.

I tried counselling and that helped at the time. The lady I was seeing was marvellous, so understanding. But then it came to an end when she left for maternity leave. I recently tried to get it reinstated, however, there is a 5 month waiting list!! My Dr is trying to influence that. 

Meanwhile, I have recently been experiencing Vertigo and dizzyness, which is so draining. 

My Husband is actually typing this bet they are my thoughts and my words, but I would rather be doing it myself.

Thank you for being there,

Best wishes Pauline

Everyone else seems so positive and upbeat, I feel such a failure.

​ 

• Posted

Bless you! I really feel for you. The only way I try to keep my memory working is to do as many puzzles as I can.................... it doesn't matter if the answers are wrong as it's the trying that counts! It can also be quite good as I swear blind that I can't remember the things I don't want to to do!! The panic attacks are dreadful things and nobody understands unless they suffer too. I have developed strategies for coping as I find that I can stop the PA if I divert my mind from it. So.................. I have a short poem that I say and I also breathe very deeply to get more oxygen in my bloodstream. Take care and chin up!
  • Posted

It's nice to be able to talk to people who understand, thank you so much for replying.

I have tried the puzzles, which I enjoy, it does help. 

Are either of you on Warfarin? I find my Dr. uses Warfarin as an excuse not to help me with other remedies that could prove useful. The usual reply is "I would give you ???? but you're on Warfarin!! most frustrating. Feel I desperately need tranquillisers, or something to help calm me down.

• Posted

I sing to myself shame my family have gone past my stage of listening to me sing

again.  Well I am tone deaf j/k.   Seriously singing does help.  Good luck xx

Win

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.