Stroke/TIA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone !

I am 23, student at electrical engineering (final year) and here is my story:

I wanna ask someone who knows better and get a good answer about what i am going to ask and here i go with my story:

To me it all happened in the beginning of July 2016 (7th july) ...after i was very tired and got drunk...went home at 4 AM and went to work at 7 AM , it was just another hangover day for me. After work, i got home at 4 PM and suddenly everything got strange and unreal, i got my biggest panic attack (never had before one) and i kept watching the mirror and i thought i was dying and having a stroke, i felt 100% detached from reality, i was totally scared and it was very very horrible.As days passed i thought about 2 things : 

1) i was having a stroke and soon i was gonna die

2) i was going crazy

After all my fear about my health I went to the doctor, and i have done the following:

many blood tests - all ok, urine tests - all ok

I asked the doctor if there was something wrong with my head if everything is ok, so i asked for a CT scan ...she said NO, it is not necesary ..(i have done equilibrium tests with hands and feet and were ok)...ok...then why do i sometimes feel clumsy and dizzy?..

(I have to say that if i had enough money i could have done my CT scan alone at a private doctor but it is too expensive and i don't afford it.)

In september i had 3 exams in one week, i passed all of them (i could learn if i concentrated more than i was doing it before, it was hard for me, can someone with a stroke learn so much in a short time?)

Weeks passed, i had many panic attacks, and started reading books about how to treat my anxiety...

Today , i eat very healthy, quit drinking, i go jogging but still feel wrong...i have a bit of slurred speech and it scares me..sometimes i get the dizziness and i seem to forget things and i have to concentrate to remember them. Sometimes my left arm feels clumsy but i lift and i am strong on both sides (i can lift equally with the same strength on both sides)

I still fear of a stroke.

My biggest question : do i have a stroke? (i need some professional answers)

I had enough about researching for it ....i read about stories and i don't want to anymore.

It's been 4 months since i am experiecing this stroke/panic/anxiety or whatever it is ...can someone with a stroke survive 4 months without medicine? I need to know.

Thanks to everyone who took time for reading this!

I wish everyone a healthy and happy life !!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi nex20cm,

First of all it seems to me you've got yourself into a bit of a state about what happened.  Unfortunately it is well known that binge drinking and lack of sleep can cause visual hallucinations, hand tremors & seizures, have a look at symptoms of alcohol.

Congratulations on cleaning up your act.  Whilst you can have a stroke at any age, it sounds as though your doctor has checked you out well.  If you had your blood pressure taken and it was normal then it's more likely to be your past lifestyle.  Alcohol can cause hand tremors, sweating, nausea & visual hallucinations and in serious cases seizures(fits), also anxiety.

It sounds as though you've already helped yourself and may I suggest you talk to your Uni helpline about your anxiety as this should lower your stress levels which are perhaps partly due to the pressure of exams and studying.

if you are still slurring and have other problems go back to your GP and be frank about your problems in July and just explain how you feel.  There isn't anything they haven't heard about and hopefully it will set your mind at rest.

This isn't a medical forum but a support forum so good luck and let us know how you do as we all like a happy outcome!

• Posted

Your symptoms sound exactly like my daughter. She's only 34 years old and had a couple of TIA's. Her symptoms were feeling and acting drunk, off balance, she couldn't walk a straight line. Paralysis on one side, droopy eyes, brain fog, panic attacks, migraines, etc. A bran scan accompanied by genetic blood work diagnosed her with Brain Ischemia. It's where the brain doesn't receive enough oxygen. It is managed with stroke medication, along with a healthy diet, and excercise. Talk to your Dr. about referring you to a neurologist, and ask them about Brain Ischemia. I hope all goes well with you.

• Posted

It sounds like you are suffering a great deal from anxiety and mental problems and that they are causing you issues rather then the issues

causing the anxiety. Might I please suggest that you seek some counseling right away. And in addition, see the neurologist and let him know

about the slurred speach and other physical problems your having to see what he says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.