Strokes and Tia's and playing drums in a band

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if they know whether long term playing of drums in a band and the loud music are a risk factor for strokes or tias.  My 43 year old son has just spent a day in hospital with what may or may not be a minor stroke and the doctors are unsure but treating is as such asprin statins etc.  He is also a diabetic since age 2 and due to pressure of work and running back and forth to gigs not sleeping enough etc had let his diabetic control slip.  He is off work now of course and will go back to the clinic in 4 weeks.  The reason I ask this is I don't know how he would cope he had to give up playing the drums it is a very important part of his life.

I suppose the doctor will advise him but I wondered if anyone had come accross this conection.  Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think drums or loud music would have anything to do with a stroke. If he has been inhaling smoke from smoke filled bars, that could be a potential factor.
  • Posted

i too dont think that..drums and loud music causes..stroke or tia...

its always due to...following reasons.....

Risk factors

Many factors can increase your risk of a stroke. Some factors can also increase your chances of having a heart attack. Potentially treatable stroke risk factors include:

Lifestyle risk factors

Being overweight or obese

Physical inactivity

Heavy or binge drinking

Use of illicit drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamines

Medical risk factors

High blood pressure — the risk of stroke begins to increase at blood pressure readings higher than 120/80 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Your doctor will help you decide on a target blood pressure based on your age, whether you have diabetes and other factors.

Cigarette smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke.

High cholesterol.

Diabetes.

Obstructive sleep apnea — a sleep disorder in which the oxygen level intermittently drops during the night.

Cardiovascular disease, including heart failure, heart defects, heart infection or abnormal heart rhythm.

Other factors associated with a higher risk of stroke include:

Personal or family history of stroke, heart attack or transient ischemic attack.

Being age 55 or older.

Race — African-Americans have a higher risk of stroke than do people of other races.

Gender — Men have a higher risk of stroke than women. Women are usually older when they have strokes, and they're more likely to die of strokes than are men. Also, they may have some risk from some birth control pills or hormone therapies that include estrogen, as well as from pregnancy and childbirth.

• Posted

Thank you Kaleem 16190 and WDtony for your replies.

Your point about smoke filled bars is something I had really considered as like me he has never smoked.  I cannot remember exactly when smoking in pubs etc was banned but of course he would have been playing in smoky pubs in his early years, likewise I lived through the 1960s'70s with smoking in offices pubs etc.  Of the medical risk factors you list he has 2 Type 1 Diabetes and high cholesterol.  He is now getting diabetes under control again and taking statins.  There is no family history of stroke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.