struggling with my tinnitus since 5 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello im new in here.. i hope everyone is well. Was happy to find such forum where ones can find a little support and hope by communicating one another and sharing experiences. Ive been struggling with my tinnitus since 5 years it came out of sudden. Went to 3 ORL (assured all was fine) 3 tmj dentists (assumed that my severe teeth grinding out of stress at night, might have led to my tinnitus and its too late to recover anything) no one could actually helped with my jaw (face muscle cramps) or tinnitus or the troubles coming with it ( headaches, diziness) instead they all advised to adjust my life style since i'll be living with that sound in my head 24/7. All my life. Im not sure if it has anything to do with the anxiety medecines(seroxat, venlax..) i used to take 4 years ago but im sure that the stress had a big say in my life. Im 34 and hoping one day we will all wake up 'sound free' since i know how frustrating and paining is to live with tinnitus.

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi noemi,

T is so annoying it you can see other docs to help you lean tools to cope and manage this .

I took meds that had the side effect of causing T. I wish Imcaheck all the side effects before I began the medication.

keep searching for help and I hope you can find some peace !

• Posted

Have you tried NAC to try to flush out the meds from your system? Maybe read up on it. 
    • Posted

No haven't tried NAC. but will check with my doc. I see the doc this week 

thanks 

Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you for ur reply and i hope you will find a way to eliminate the meds side effects from your organism so u can retrieve peace too as well. Ive tried the night guard tool for about 2years ended up with my jaw totally locking nd had to take muscle relaxing meds for a week to release it . Thats when i stopped searching nd tried to coped with my situation. stopped seeing docs nd did nthg but praying that one day it will go away by itself.
  • Posted

This is a long shot, but can other people hear your tinnitus, near your ear or near your mouth?  Is the tinnitus like a clickety sound, rather than a high pitched sound?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

After reading for several long nights and doing researches about T Ive came to learn that my tinnitus is subjective and only heard by me the docs who examined me before couldnt hear anything but assured that ill be dwelling with panic attacks and depression if i kept obssessed about it finally they suggested to take anti depression meds but i refused. My jaw clicks in fact but the sound in my head is like a high pitched one. My sis caught me up several time while sleeping doing a weird crunching sound like if i was eating a hard solid thing thats when i knew it was teeth grinding. The night guard didnt help and the tmj doc said nothing was wrong with my jaw disc but found instead that the muscle in my face near the jaw area are tensed he only gave me back then a muscle relaxing med. I do have periodical tension headache along with my T and neck pain.
    • Posted

The reason I was asking about other people hearing this in case this was throat muscle spasms.

Moving on, does your tinnitus go away when everything is quiet?  

• Posted

No, kind of gets louder.. maybe not louder but clearer bcz no distracting noise around, but its always there.. the only time im tinnitus free is when im sleeping :s
    • Posted

I want to further confirm if the tmj problems is related.  During jaw movements, or if you press on different muscles over the tmj, does the tinnitus change?

• Posted

Oh im not sure about that theres surely pain while pressing and a click sound when moving my jaw but T doesnt change. however i can confirm that some days the T is felt lower and calmer only when i sleep well in good posture. Ive been sleeping all my life in a very bad posture.. thats what ive been told.. from here came my neck back and chest pain..

i thank you for your kind follow up and appreciate ur taking time to reply.. Bless you.

• Posted

What you are describing is a special form of tinnitus called Somatosensory tinnitus.  It is not the same as tinnitus as a result of ear dysfunction, but is caused by other things such as TMJ.  The fact that the tinnitus goes away during sleep tends to confirm this.  One treatment can be to relax your facial muscles, as shown by this excerpt from a study group:

Because patients with temporomandibular disorder often present with muscular tension in both the jaw and neck – as well as tinnitus, vertigo/dizziness and aural fullness – the first aim of treatment for somatosensory tinnitus is the reduction of such muscular tension.29

Many patients with such problems also benefit from performing regular stretching exercises of their suboccipital muscles at home, as well as rotation movements in the atlanto-occipital joint – especially to the restricted side – and relaxing exercises involving breathing with the diaphragm.

Such treatment of muscle tension in the jaw and neck can reduce tension-related symptoms such as tinnitus, vertigo, aural fullness and pain in the jaw, neck or headache. Indeed, the intensity of all such symptoms was significantly reduced (p<0.001) after a 3-year follow-up examination for patients who used this type of treatment.29

• Posted

Ur a savior!! i thank u a lot.. u made my day! knowing that someone out there cared enough to illustrate/explain this to me and give me some hope that i can get rid of it some day.. im gonna look further into what u recommended hopefully ill find some peace. God bless u dear and i wish full recovery for everyone with troubles and pain.. xx
    • Posted

Had to pop in to your theory that  T goes away when we sleep !!! Of course it does,,, no one hears anything when they sleep.. 

Have you any theories on T being caused by a blow to the head, which

causes the brain some confusion, and is unable to stop/start   noises

,so it doesn't bother,  and the noise varies, depending on where and what you are doing. Silence  causes more awareness, and normal

every noise, will mask it. ear damage. can .I understand .be treated

to reduce or cure T, but the brain damage is not treatable, and, no one is more sorry than myself,,  Another side effect from T ,is sleep deprevation, which in itself can cause more health problems. 

• Posted

In general, inner ear problems after head injury can be caused by:

1) Labyrinth concussion (temporal bone fracture)

2) Develoment of perilymphatic fistula (liquid tube shortcut)

3) Development of fluid buildup in inner ear (endolymphatic hydrops)

• Posted

Do you recommend tens? Its not so easy to just relax face muscles .and whilst asleep seems imposiible to control bruxism even woth a night gaurd..
    • Posted

I am sorry, I do not know what "tens" means.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, ive tried night guard for 2 years didnt help much it caused more pain day after day i used to wake up with tension headaches, the muscle relaxing medicine helped though, u need to try to relax before sleeping to minimise the risk/act of bruxism, try natural tea like camomile or any herbal plant that might help in relaxing.. i know its a long way and anything may trigger the tinnitus in my case smoking cigarettes is the number one trigger im trying to quit now.. i wish u well.
    • Posted

Its not the cigarettes. I know they blame the world on them. Quitting is always a healthy option as the withdrawals are tough but benifits last a lifetime. But not the cause if this. I dont believe so. It is the bruxism. One kind ent sat me down and literally took me through it. Scientifically what happens with bruxism and how muscle swell and push into the arteries and eustatian tube. Swelliing and inflammation stuff too. Its awful. Ive been reading about fbromylegia but i have ti say i know a ton of people with this so it would be scary to think so many have Fibro. I have even done hypnosis. I have been told pain releases endorphins and the body likes that feeling which makes it a bad habit as well.i have no clue just know it sucks.tinnitus sucks terribly but the inflammation makes a ton of sense. I would be scared to not use the night gaurd. I have three capped teeth already haha. I am a big time clencher. Wasnt always just the past ten years. The problem with me is i am asleep when this is happening. I just want it all to stop. So stupid that this would be what my body finds comfortable. I wish you all the best figuring it all out as well. Tinnitus needs to be cured! I know they are really researching it and trying hard to figure it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.