Struggling with sleeping on back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

I finally had my right hip replaced on Monday and came home on Wednesday.

Difficulty at moment is pain while sleeping on back.

i had read throughout this forum about the advice to sleep on side with pillow between legs, but the day I was leaving hospital I checked with the Sister and she said the surgeon was determined that we stay on backs for the six weeks.

I'm not sure if I can do that but definitely do not want to risk a dislocation.

Any advice gratefully received.

Norman

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You just need to suffer thru it, sorry to say this to you.  I had both hips replaced 10 months apart.  You will not sleep well the first few weeks and anything you do will not help.  But that shall pass.  I walk 5-6 miles a day now.  Patience Norman😊
  • Posted

Hello Normanlike you I found sleeping on my back incredibly painful on my back, I propped myself up with lots of pillows so I was reclined and had a pillow under my knees and although it helped a little it wasn't enough to allow me to do anything more than dose so ended up sleeping in the chair, at about four weeks I started to lie on my un operated side with a pillow between my knees and another pillow next to so if tje operated leg did slip forward it did not have far to fall but I tjink 4-5 days is too soon for for that I wish I could make more suggestions but can't but it does get better at about 6-8 weeks I was able to lie ony operated side ( the side I normally sleep) for a very short time which gradually got longer till I was sleeping normally
  • Posted

Thanks to both. I'll try propping up with pillows and be as patient as I can.

For the pain I guess I take the painkillers.

• Posted

I sleep with a back roll in the small of my back and find it helps little. Also the pain killers help me sleep too. Maybe you could time them so you take some just before you go to sleep.
  • Posted

Dear Norman, 

Welcome back !!!  

Oh, the sleeping on back issue ... well, I am one of the ones who was allowed to sleep on unoperated side from day 3, while still in the hospital after 1st surgery in March 2015 - I am now 23 days post op from 2nd THR and my unoperated side is now operated side ... 

I don;t know what to tell you - it is important that your legs are stretched and sleeping on side means that you are curling up - 

Also, side sleeping puts a strain on the fragile tissue - that is why some surgeons prefer the operated side instead of the unoperated side - but that is very uncomfortable ...

pillows in your back while sort of laying sideways (leaning against pillows) might help  - 

funny thing is that knowing that I am allowed to sleep on my side, I actually find myself sleeping on my back more often ....

How are you doing ontherwise ???

be gentle with your self Norman - you are still so early in your recovery ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

It is very early Norman and I found lying on my back awful as it hurt my wound and I just hated it . But with pillows I was able to sleep on my operated side and this made me much happier .

Take all

Your meds and hopefully it won't be too bad 🌞🌞

• Posted

This is one of the worst things. Plenty of pillows so you are semi recumbent without breaking the 90 degree rule. Books, kindles and a TVs remote to while away the wakeful hours. You do adapt to a certain extent , some people sleep in their recliners for a few days/ weeks
  • Posted

I'm doing well Renee thanks and thanks for the big warm hug. You hugs are a marvellous resource and are great for lifting the spirits.

I can hardly believe that after waiting so long I have finally had the op. and here I am on the forum.

Like so many others I have followed the forum avidly and learned so much from it and now I will of course take advice and get pillows piled up around    me and keep on top with the meds.

Thanks Maggie - we've just got a recliner so hopefully that will bring some comfort

Thanks Kikeena - I'll take painkillers before going to sleep

Many thanks again for all the help

Norman

• Posted

Hi Norman I,m 2wks post op my surgeon +physio said definitely no sleeping on either side, the first week was horrendous as its not a natural position to sleep in. Week two has been a lot easier &I have had more sleep,you find different ways to make sleeping more comfortable, I pop a small pillow under my operated leg just behind the knee I found this to be easier on my back too. I saw my physio yesterday &mentioned this he said it was fine providing the pillow was a flat one.I myself stick to what my surgeon tells me I know it wil get easier with time so try &stick with it Norman and the better nights will come. Best wishes suzybobs
  • Posted

Dear norman

You are right it is very difficult sleeping on your back

I had right hip replacment and I got relif by side sleep on day time atleast for 30 minutes a day with two pilow

After all 6 weeks will be short mu dear it will pass

Be well my dear

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.