Stye bump

Posted , 3 users are following.

16 days ago I started to have a red pimple under my eye that was painfull. A week later - a doctor said it was a stye and gave me some antibiotic gel. I also used hot compresses but for a short time (like twice a day for 2 minutes ) at this point the pimple became to a bump.

2 weeks later the bump doesn't hart anymore and doesn't go away

I started to do the hot compress for 3 times a day- 20 minutes each time

My question is-  if it doesn't hurt anymore, is there any reason to continue with hot compresses? (since it doesn't change anything) Is it too late??

How long should I wait until a surgery to drain it?

Can it still go away by itself even though it looks the same size?

Thanka

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Jane. It is best to go back to the dr so he can access it. Itmay be clearing up but it is not worth taking a chance .
  • Posted

I went to the doctor and he said that I can have a surgery if I want to drain it. This is why I came to this forum and asked this qustion. It's so hard to get an answer for this quesion, it says everywhere to put these hot compresses on the stye, but you can't find any information about what does it mean if the stye doesn't hurt anymore? Is it too late for compresses?

• Posted

Ask the dr that question, as we are not experts on here, we just share our experiences, which makes us feel that we are not alone.
    • Posted

Hi David

It is  apity that we cannot see the size of the stye or how much it is inflamed or infected.

It is therefrore hard to make a judgement.

Was yor dr keen to drain it or did he suggest that because you are understandably worried about it?

You know your dr better than we do. How long has the stye been present?

Styes are usually on the eyelid .

Is the stye impinging on your eyesight? Is it maingg your eye sore etc.

think that ou need to askk the dr if it is advisable to coniue using these hot compresses.

If the stye 'bursts' of its own accord or as a result of hot compresses then what instructions has your dr given to you?

what will you do? Will  you then have to go back to your dr  for antibiotic  etc.Personally  I would let the dr drain the stye. 

I think the problem is that we cannot see the stye and therefore it is hard to make a judgement on what is best.

Are you trying to make the stye discharge by applying hot compresses?

If so you will probably sthave no idea of the size or the actual appearance of the inflammation. DO you think that the size is increasing or decreasing?

The fact that it is not hurting is good but it needs draining either by the dr or by

I don't think there is any harm in applying hot compresses . If the dr has definitely suggested draining the stye then I wou get it done.

I think that if the stye is not getting any better and 

• Posted

WHOOPS! 

David I am sorry about the last message .The keyboard is playing up and whilst I was trying to edit the posting it was sent by accident!!

I found a link to the treatment of styes. I have tried to send it but it has gone for modding.

The link gives some info indicating that sometimes styes may require draining need draining.

I personally would have it drained and get rid of it.  .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.