Subclinical Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Heylo all,

I have subclinical hyperthyroidism for almost 9 years now. But i have no symptoms such as tremors, or hair fall or any other. I am not on any treatment and the doctor i visited said i dont need to and i keep monitoring my levels every 6 months to one year

Does anyone out there have this condition.Im glad im not traking any medication for the same, but id like to be doubly sure that it is okay to not be treated.

Priya

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was subclinical when first diagnosed but I had lots of symptoms and my heart was affected.

I was started on meds after having a scan on my thyroid. My endo thought my levels had been going between high and normal for some time. Just after starting meds I did in fact go fully hyper and had dose increased.

My endo wants to keep me on meds till my TSH comes up to normal, despite my t4 and t3 being in normal ranges. If I wasn't having symptoms I probably wouldnt have been diagnosed at all. So you are probably fine unmedicated if you are being monitored.

The medication has potentially serious side effects, even if rare, so you don't want to be taking it unless necessary.

• Posted

Niceto hear your replysmile yes i have heard that taking medication might do one more harm.. so il just keep monitoring like i alwatys have.

thank yousmile

• Posted

Hi pri16055

Count your blessings...you're lucky to not have symptoms! My dr diagnosed me about 6 months ago with hypothyroidism and was given synthroid .150 which is kind of a high dose.....long story short I found out thru ER visit with heart rate of 136 and bp was 187/82 and shaking uncontrollably. The ER Dr asks how long I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. ...told him never been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism...told him I was diagnosed as hypothyroidism. He told me it was definitely high and I told the Dr I been taking hormone replacement pills for almost 6 months now....bad bad bad!! Now I have shaking fits thst are uncontrollable, very irritable (and my poor family can attest),racing heartbeat and high blood pressure,can't sleep at night,most of the time I just want to scream at my dr for misdiagnosis me in the first place! I sure do hope you continue to not have symptoms and do well!

• Posted

Bloody frightening stuff. Have u got your blood results by any chance. I assume that you are in the USA.
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply. I did hear from another person who also was diagnosed at the same time as me and but it converted into a full blown Hyperthyroid condition for her . Im glad mine has remained this way for years. Its a miracle yes.

i hope u get better...have you tries yoga/ pranayam/ breathing exercises. It would help with anxiosuness and has other benefits too.

That not good that u were misdiagnosed. U should make a formal complaint coz the doc cannot misdiagnose another person again. Hormone pills can mess around with the system if not taken properly.

I really hope u get better with the condition and ensure u take the right pills even if it requires a double check or triple check woth another doc.

• Posted

Please let us know what your bloodworks show esp your Thyroid hormone levels. these should be TSH. T3, T4, Free T3, reverse T3 Thyroid antibodies.  Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi, My results

If u notice, my tsh is low, but t3,t4 and ft3 and ft4 are normal including the antibodies. Let me know what u think.

TRIIODOTHYRONINE (T3) - 109 ng/dl 

Range: l60 - 200ng/dl

C.L.I.A

TOTAL THYROXINE (T4) - 8.3 ug/dl

REF range: 4.5 - 12.0 µg/dl

C.L.I.A

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE (TSH) - 0.02 uiU/ml

Ref range -0.30 - 5.5  µIU/ml 

C.L.I.A

FREE TRIIODOTHYRONINE (FT3) -  3.16 pg/ml

C.L.I.A

Ref range: 1.7 - 4.2 pg/ml

FREE THYROXINE (FT4) - 1.3 ng/dl

C.L.I.A

Ref range: 0.7 to 1.8 ng/dl

ANTI-MICROSOMAL ANTIBODY (AMA) - 5 IU/mL

C.L.I.A

Reference Range :

Negative : <34 positive="" :="">34

(AMA are also called as Anti-TPO Antibodies).

Method :

Fully Automated Chemi Luminescent Immuno Assay

ANTI THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY (ATG) - 11.67IU/ML

C.L.I.AGATIVE : < 115positive="" :=""> 115Method :Reference Range :

Negative : <115 positive="" :="">115

Method :

Fully Automated Chemi Luminescent Immuno Assay

• Posted

Hi, Jane

Correction for the the ref range of TRIIODOTHYRONINE (T3). 

TRIIODOTHYRONINE (T3) - 109 ng/dl 

Range: 60 - 200ng/dl

C.L.I.A

• Posted

Hi Sorry not to get back to you until now. Have you had an ultra sound scan of your thyroid? Have u got any nodules on the goitre?

have t be honest and say that I am not an expert on the interpretation of thyroid antibodies but I understand that these should be at zero level.

• Posted

Thanks Jane , i was hoping you would reply soonsmile

I did an ultrasound and the impression was two benign nodules which is fine is what they said. It also mentioned a mildly bulky thyroid gland. Il send you the exact details of the ultrasound by tonight.

Are u also saying that my anti-microsomal antibody shoud be nil? its five as i see it and the normal is below 34? 

• Posted

Hi Jane

This is the result is of the ultrasound.I showed it to the doc and he said let it be for now and lets keep monitoring. Wat do u think ? 

Two well defined heterogenous predominantly hyperechoic lesions largest measuring 8 by 6 mm noted in the left lobe. The lesion shows peripheral halo - suggestive of  benign morphology. No calcification or significant vascularity noted. 

Isthmus is normal. Bilateral parotid and submandibular glands are unremarkable.

Neck vessekls appear normaL.

iMPRESSION: Mildly bulky  thyroid gland with benign nodules in left lobe as described.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.