Subclinical Hypo but High Free T4

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was overmedicated based on a TSH of 4.2 -- while feeling PERFECT for decades with TSH between 3.25 and 3.5. I was placed on 25 mcg in October 2016 by a doctor new to me -- but went full on hyper. In December thru mid January 2017 I was on a low dose of T4 compounded by a pharmacy. I remained hyper on that 7.5 mcg dose: racing heart beat (110-120 beats), weak muscles, sweating, hot, anxiety (which I never experienced until Synthroid).

From October thru last week I took 50 mcg of kelp daily per the doctor who had me on Synthroid.

I left that doctor and returned to my old one who never treated my labs while seeing her for ten years. (I stopped seeing her because she relocated her practice 60 miles from my home).

On Feb 17, 2017 were labs were TSH 6.4; Free T4 1.7 (which is the exact number of of the highest number in reference range) and a Free T3 at exact mid-point of reference range. My ECG showed normal heart rhythms and my other blood work was fine. My doctor who I saw for a decade diagnosed me subclinical hypothyroid with bad side effects from over medication. I've been on NO medication since January 18. She suggested I wait it out and re-test in 8 weeks st which time she'll put me on a tiny dose of Armour Thyroid. She would like to see my Free T4 down to 1.2. She believes it's causing my hyper symptoms.

The anxiety and fast heart rate (neither of which I had before Synthroid) are getting to me. Should I just cope and believe that my Free T4 will eventually reduce on its own? If it is going to get back to normal in it's own through time, then I'd prefer to do nothing. Or must I take action like small dose ThyroSmooth?

I've been suffering for months now. Thanx for providing guidance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Need more information.  When you began having thyroid problems, were you hyper or hypo?  Did your docs ever test for the cause of your thyroid problems?  If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, you will be extremely sensitive to prescribed meds, be they for hypo or for hyper and you will do better on Natural treatment methods.  Most docs do not look for causes of hypo although I heard one Endrocrinologist lecturer say that he ALWAYS does.  

• Posted

I was never hypo or hyper: all my life I had a 3.25 TSH and mid-range Free T3 and T4 numbers AND felt fantastic 100 percent of the time. Great energy, great sleep, perfect low weight, perfect low BP and pulse. But my TSH slipped up over 4 and new doctor treated me with 25 mcg Synthroid, and I've never been the same. My antibody test in October was less than 10. Definitely not Hoshi. Does that help? Thank you so much for helping!

I believe my TSH went up in October because I was on an all plant-based diet Summer leading up to that time with tons and tons of raw vegetables.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.