Successful Hydrocele Operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'd like to share my experience of having a successful hydrocele operation, and hope it helps those who are concerned or not sure what to do. For the record, I'm in my 50s, in good health, and of average weight.

Last summer, whilst checking myself during bath time, I noticed that my left testicle was slightly larger than my right one. I arranged for an appointment with my GP, who examined me and said it probably wasn't a cancer. He referred me to the local NHS hospital for an ultrasound scan, and an appointment was offered within 6 weeks. The scan confirmed a small hydrocele on my left testicle and I was referred to the Urology department. I met the consultant a couple of weeks later.He examined me, confirmed the diagnosis of a hydrocele and explained the options. At the time the hydrocele wasn't that large, wasn't painful and wasn't causing me any distress. I therefore chose to do nothing about it.

By Christmas time it had grown to the size of a small orange. It was causing me discomfort, but not painful. Extrapolating forward I could see this becoming the size of a large Jaffa by the summer, so got myself back in the system for an operation.

In June I visited the day surgery ward of a Somerset NHS hospital. I booked in at 1.00pm, had the op at 2.00pm and was home by 4.30pm. I was given a week's worth of paracetamol and ibuprofen painkillers. I was signed off work sick for the first week, and I took a second week as holiday.

I suffered no significant pain and no real discomfort. I kept the wound and stitches clean each day using antiseptic wipes and sterile dressings held in place by micropore tape. There was weeping from the wound which lessened each day and completely stopped after about 3 weeks. The only problem I encountered was the wound became a little infected, which my GP treated with a course of oral antibiotics. I think my mistake was to wear supportive underwear for too many hours and not let the wound breathe and get access to the air.

The stitches had all dissolved within 3 weeks, and the wound healed completely by about 4 weeks. I'm back to a normal size and can enjoy doing all the activities I used to before the hydrocele appeared.

If I had to go through this again then I would opt for the operation straight away, and not wait. I'd take more care of the wound, and let more air get to it early on. I could have gone back to my desk job after one week, but the second week was worth taking. I can't fault the treatment I had on the NHS; everyone who dealt with me was excellent.

Hope this helps any of you who are worried about having a hydrocele treated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dougie, well done for posting this.It is a sensitive subject and men often put going to the doctor about it off.

My elder son had this operation over 30 years ago when he was three years old. He was lucky and didn't get an infection but then because he was three he was able to go about indoors with no pants on and no one minded in the least!

He has gone on to have three boys and another due in February. So it doesn't affect fertility. I know some men worry that this can happen.

So if you think you may have a hydrocele take Dougie's advice and get to your doc.

• Posted

Hi Dougie,

Congratulations for your successful op and thanks for positive post.

I am having similar issue here is my story.

I am 30 year of age; married; beautiful wife & blessed with two daughters (1st - 4year 2nd six months).

I am suffering with Hydrocele in my right testis since over 2 years. In the beginning it was little enlarge, but as time passes it’s getting bigger. As of now it has size and shape of Big Avocado, Tight and no pain at all. It does not look from out side of my pant or even if see necked, because most of the time it stretches itself upward towards my lower abdomen, which bothers me a lot like some hard ball is pushing to my right beneath my kidney.  I am in touch with Urologist and had done ultrasound scan etc. and waiting to follow up with Urologist to discuss my options. At the same time I am also doing my own research using this other websites.

I also noticed my sexual performance has decreased greatly ever since it is growing – meaning I can’t stay little bit and ejaculate very quickly with burning in my penis vein. I am not sure if it is related with my hydrocele or not but I have to discuss with my urologist.  I am preparing my self for hydrocele surgery and trying to read success stories. I’ve seen many surgical procedures on YouTube. It seems me clean & simple if done by expert hands.

I would highly recommend to every one who is going for surgery and to my surgeon; to Video record the whole procedure if they agree. This will make sure they have not done any mess – up.

Since I am in the process of surgical procedure on the way, any last minute update will be highly appreciated.  I will pray for all who still suffering and request to please pray for my better recovery. Thanks all

• Posted

i am worried to go for operation as if after operation size will grow big then lot of problem in office
  • Posted

Sam,

After the operation everything returned to normal size. I work in an office and had no problems.  I took a week off work, spent mostly in bed.  I was fine to carry out office work the following week.

Dougie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.