Sudden Hair loss and scalp picking

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been scalp picking for about 3 years and recently stopped picking for a good two months now. It took me a long time to stop this habit..which caused my scalp to bleed, create red bumps and make my hair drop A LOT. It wasn't until last year that I noticed my parting started to get wider in the back of my head (called a cowlick). three months ago it got worst and now it's hard to cover the gap.

I'm really upset because although I haven't been picking for two months now, the area around my parting still hasn't grown. Other part s of my hair are slowly growing . I lose about 30 hairs a day, which I know is normal, but I'm not sure if my follicles are shrinking and my hair is thinning. Will the area at the back of my head eventually grow back?? There's no evident scars, but I'm afraid I might have destroyed my follicles since I picked the most on that area. Is two months enough time to see results ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My son was doing the same thing.Took him to the dermatologist.She started him on steroid injections 3 about6 weeks apart.It took that long for the hair to start growning in.He also takes a supplement called NAC .It is supposed to help with stress that causes his Alopecia to act up.Hope this info helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I started to think the only way to resolve my issue was surgery
    • Posted

Your welcome.I hope your results will be good as my sons.If you need someone to talk to jusyt message me.
  • Posted

Hi Jen if you leave it i am pretty confident it will indeed grow back. It will be fine hair at first and then start to thicken but it will take several months to establish coverage. Hope my comment will help your query Jen. Good luck but i am sure you will not need it.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm new here and I saw this topic, I'm a former scalp picker too. I've had hair loss too. I recently stopped, I've been quit about 3 months. I am curious, did your scalp recover? I'm thinking about seeing my doctor about what my options are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.