Sudden knee pain 26 months post right TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my first right TKR just over 2years ago, very sucessful and pain free until recently, i am experiencing  pain and tightness around the knee, now unable to bend or lift the leg. I do go to a mobility gym twice weekly and have been able to walk 5miles painfree. Help Please

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

If it were me I'd be getting back to the ortho surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I am waiing for him to contact me, I paid to have this done privately and cannot afford to go down that route again, but would appreciate his advice. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Susan, I had my tkr a year ago, dong well but could never lift it up straight,also kept falling over.Was told the muscles were weak and to keep working on it. In the end i had to have an operation 2 months ago, the tendon had stretched and was below my knee cap. So painful but for the first time in a year  i can lift my leg up not very far and only twice a day but its a start.I should go and see your consultant. good luck Pam  

• Posted

Hi Pam, I was doing very well until this last couple of weeks, attended a gym twice a week and had a good range of movement. Excercise certainly helps strengthen the muscles.  Not sure whats going on. Hopeing I can get an NHS referral to see someone soon. Keep up the good work.
  • Posted

Like Pam and Cheryl said, go back to your doctor. It can very well be that you injured something. Back off your normal routine and rest. Go back to the basics of your initial TKR recovery, elevate and ice. Take an advil or Aleve for possible swelling, then after a few days, you should start to feel better. If not, go to the doctor. Be blessed.
    • Posted

Thank you, I am doing all that you suggest until I can get a Consultant referral. Like Cheryl I cannot take NSAIDS, just paracetamol, when pain really bad at night i take Tramadol, but not keen to.
  • Posted

Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate, until you check with your phyisian and get healthy 
    • Posted

Yes I have gone back to doing all this, thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

susan you should go and have a 3 phase bone scan to see if your implant is loose
    • Posted

Hopefully they will suggest this, i have had ordinary xray but i dont think this will show up anything, Thank you for your advice.
  • Posted

HI Susan,

I had my tkr 9 months ago. It was good for awhile and a couple of months ago it became stiff and hurt so bad. It clicks when I stand up from sitting and is very painful when it does. When I drive my knee hurts when I get out of the car I find myself say Oh  It has been two years for you. is this what we look forward to? my other knee was scoped and I have just a little pain with that one. I went to my 6 week post op for that last week. I told my Orth about my pain they were going to give me this little brace that even the guy putting it on my knee said he did not like that brace. it was so small for my leg and did not even fit. they did not have a bigger size. so now I have an appt next week to go for taping and then they will teach me how to change it every two to three days later. if that does not help i see him in three more months and he will go in and reconstruct my knee. i do not want this but hearing that it is two years for you it makes me nervous. i have to say i do not have the pain i had in the beginning. I wish you the best of luck. Terry

• Posted

Oh dear, I wish you luck with your reconstruction. I hadnt had any pain in either of my knee replacements, i had the second knee replaced five months after 1st, I was in the gym just 3weeksmafter op, i had an amazing recovery of that knee. This one took a little longer as I had a wound infection and a lot of ligament damage, it was also the worse knee prior to op. I dont know if this is reason for my pain now, until I see a consultant I have stopped the gym and gone back to basics. I wish you luck with your. Susan.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, Good luck to you also. I hope I do not have to have them go in my knee again as when I had the scope on my other knee last dec 1st i had no problem with that. i just can not see letting the doctor cut my other knee open again to reconstuct it. I do not want the pain and it is so hard to get around. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.