Sudden pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

In December 2015 I was 11 stone 9, I am now 8stone, I have done nothing to diet, no exercise or anything, the weight has literally fell off me.

Not on a regular basis but every so often, I will be sick. On Sunday night I had diarreoah. On Monday night around 9 o'clock, a pain came just under my ribs but at the top of my stomach, and I can only describe it as a 'ball shaped' pain. 12 o'clock it had got worse so I phoned 111 for advice, told them everything I've said previously, they advised me to put a hot water bottle on it and take paracetamol (I struggle to swallow tablets) so I slept with my hot water bottle.

Woke up in the morning crying in pain, so I phoned 111 again and the nurse told me to phone my doctors and tell them I need to be seen within the next two hours, so I went down, I have to go for a liver scan and have my bloods taken to find out wether I have gall stones.

They gave me buscopan, co-codamol and Omeprazole (gastro-resistant capsules)

Anybody have any advice or tips for the pain?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle, sorry cant suggest anything for the pain but when you say you have to have a liver scan i hope they meant like today and not on the waiting list for one!

Sue 

• Posted

Hello Susan, yes I'm on a waiting list for one! I Don't even have my date yet.
    • Posted

So you have lost weight, in lots of pain and they think its ok to make you wait for a liver scan, if the pain persists without let up then id go to A&E. Our son recently had lots of pain and to cut a long story short he had to admit himself to A&E, ended up with burst appendix and found him full of pousons. Family dr. just kept giving him different meds, said it was IBS!  Im not suggesting this is what you have but surley your doctor can at least do the blood tests soon. is the pain under your right rib?
    • Posted

Yes, it's like in the middle under my ribs but I get sharp pains to the right. Doctor told me to lie flat on the bed yesterday so I did and he was pressing around my right rib area and I felt sharp pains, told him that also. That's terrible, I hope your sons okay. I was thinking there could be something that there missing with me, I know my own body, I can feel the pain. Don't just fob me off with a few paracetamols and tell me I'll be okay. It's normally just a 'viral infection' at my doctors. Some are brilliant then you get ones that won't give you the time of day.
    • Posted

could be a fatty liver which is what i have,I  dont drink or smoke but naughty with chocolate! meanwhile dont have fatty foods or any alchohol and keep sugar to a minium. Have you heard of  milk thistle herb? look it up on google. 
    • Posted

I smoke but don't drink, I like my chocolate too.. And no haven't heard of it, I will google it
    • Posted

Hi

If the pain gets really bad just go straight to your local a and e department sounds like stomach problems maybe hpylon ulcer etc as loosing weight and pain go hand in hand with what I said but I wouldn't wait it out

I'm a qualified a and e nurse and that's my advice

I hope you get some relief

K.m.

• Posted

Went for blood test today, booked in for liver scan, no constant pain now just sharp sudden pains
  • Posted

It sounds like your gallbladder. Have your dr. do an ultrasound and test for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.