sudden side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Greetings all,

I've been put on bisoprolol 5mg and ramipril 2.5mg after having a heart attack last month. For the first five weeks I've been on it, I've experienced no side effects, apart from a little tiredness, which I put down to recovering. However, yesterday I had an episode where I experienced brief palpitations and a dizzy/light-headed feeling, which made me feel like I was going to pass out. I panicked and ended up in A+E, where I was told that there was nothing to be worried about and that the palpitations were probably a sign of an arrythmia which would be investigated when I have my outpatient appointment next month.

While my heart has now returned to a regular rhythm and a pulse of about 60-65, the dizziness and lethargy remain, along with a heavy feeling in my legs. I didn't sleep at all last night, although this is quite possibly attributable to the stress of ending up in A+E.

The only thing that has changed lately is that I'm now using a different brand of bisoprolol and ramipril, having run out of the meds I was given when I was discharged from hospital and moved on to ones I picked up from the chemist. Surely a different brand wouldn't cause new side effects? It's the same drug, after all...

I guess what I'm asking is, are these normal side effects and why would they suddenly appear after so many weeks? I appreciate that they are all symptoms associated with low blood pressure, which the drugs cause, but I'm feeling anxious about being on them and I won't get to talk to a cardiologist about it until my outpatient appointment at the end of next month.

Thanks,

DS

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately nowadays pharmacies get the cheapest drug available so we seldom get the same brands from month to month. The medication part is the same but if you carefully read the leaflet with them the binding/bulking ingredients are often different.  

Your symptoms could be from Bisoprolol, ramipril or from arrythmia as they are all similar. It can take a few weeks for a drug to build up in your system to cause side effects. I and others who reply will mostly blame the Bisoprolol. What dosage are you on? Some people take it at night to lessen the daytime symptoms others divide the dose between morning and night or reduce it.

You could ask the cardiology secretary to try try to get you seen sooner or speak to your GP

• Posted

Hi There,

The symptoms you are describing are caused by the bisporol and ramipril, I'm 45 I've havent had a heart attack,but did have a double heart bypass operation.I was put on 5mg of bisporol and 1.25mg, I run everyday still,but suffered tremendous low blood pressure,to the point were I nearly fell over through dizziness .Now they have adjusted my Meds to 2.5mg bisporol and 5mg ramipril and all is good,and does not compromise my running.

However I battle with severe anxiety, I've had 7-8 panic attacks in the last year and on the whole cope very well,but it can be a struggle,I doubt you are suffering an arrhythmia, palpitations are also symptom of anxiety and so are a heavy feeling in the legs.These are all symptoms I've had,the problem is after a cardiac problem,the symptoms of anxiety are very similar to cardiac,I was rushed to hospital once after my first panic attack,as I literally thought I was having a heart attack,all though never actually experienced on.

It's difficult but you will get used to the symptoms and be able to tell the difference,that said never ignore your symptoms, but don't focus on them constantly this will breed anxiety and high levels of stress.

If you don't already exercise,start this helps relieve anxiety and reduces stress,and gives you confidence even if it's just plenty of walking.

Kind regards

Mark

• Posted

Wow, thanks as you've helped me more than my GP!! Your comments about the anxiety are so true. Its really hard not to focus on your heart especially at night Thus leading to palptations, panic, thumping chest etc. Cheers again
    • Posted

Hi Justar,

I'm glad I've help,you need to understand more about how anxiety affects you ,especially after cardiac problem.Theres a book on amazon called ***k anxiety, pardon my French. But it will help,once you understand anxiety you may be able to deal with anxiety.I wish you you luck,let me know how you get on.Over and Out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.