SUFE

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son is 15. He was diagnosed with SUFE last year. He was physically very active. played basketball five days a week in school sepresenation. As he continued to play (even when i told him that hes not allowed). His team couch never stopped him from doing so. On few occasion we were seeking medical advice as he was limping. Finally (after 5 visit) GP referre us to hospital. Two days after he had surgery. Now 10 months after we still don't know where we are. It may be advised that he needs an artificial hip joint. Im devastaded. It seems that nobody will take responsibility for it. School, Gp, basketball couch. Nobody. I dont know if he would not participate would he suffer from it anyway. My question is is it possible that SUFE may be caused by too much intense activities (basketball)?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Marianna. i am so sorry that your son is going through this and hope all the best for you both. My son 12y has just undergone surgery after 12 weeks of going back and forth with the NHS. (he is doing well). My Son plays a lot of rugby and i am his head coach through the club. For a while i took a lot of the guilt upon myself for putting him through it all. In reality a number of factors need to be in line for a SUFE to happen. Firstly he needs to be large (basketball or rugby) secondly going through a growth spurt, thirdly going through adolesence. There seems to be no association to sport activity although it may be a minor contribution. For a while my sons physios and GP thought it was a simple injury that would work through with time. Although your team coach allowed him to play on was he aware that he was not allowed to? did you tell the coach ? as a parent you are entitled to stop the coaching and participation of your son.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. Im all over the place with this situation. His frustration related to restricted ability to walk ( brace + crutches=10 months.) Nobody knew what was wrong with him. I just indicated that he shouldnt play. Im really upset about the gp's lack of action. we got referral letter to the hospital afer fourth attempt. now he cant walk, hes frustrated and im blaming myself for not taking care of the whole thing better
    • Posted

Don't get to stressed by it. I went through the same process of blame. But if the medics couldn't recognise it how are we meant to as parents. At the end of the day I have decided to use my energy in a positive way to go forward and not beat myself and the rest of the world up about what has already passed

. Good luck.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your son.  My son had a SUFE when he was 11, and he is now 13 and still on crutches/wheelchair and we are not sure what the long term prognosis is at the moment as he has Avascular Necrosis.  I started a forum on facebook a few months ago - SUFE Slipped Upper Femoral (capital) Epiphysis, so if you want to discuss anything further, please go on the forum and send a friend request.  I too have blamed myself over my son, I shouldn't have trusted the GP's and trusted my gut instinct instead.  But did the GP check your son's hips?  It is a very rare condition, and GP's do know about it, but the school/club sport's coach would not have a clue so I don't think you can blame them.  My son is not an active child and he had a SUFE, so there is no link to the amount of sport that a child does, it seems to be connected with hormones, poss growth spurts/genetic condition.  Do please join the facebook page, or get in touch with STEPS charity and they can give you my number if you want to discuss further. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.