Suffering

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my name is carly I am a patient with dermotitis and my fingers seem to have cracks in them constantly I have tried every cream from the GPS ect but I can't find one that helps this is really itchy could someone help. me out with a cream they have used and worked? Thanks x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i had dermatitis on my hand as well, i used betasone cream which was Betamethasone BP 0.1% for a few days till it was gone, nothing else worked. And i now maintain it with protopic everyday to keep it from coming back. Maybe you should try a stronger strength steroid cream and once its gonez maintain it with either eilidel(dont know if i splet correctly) or protopic.

Cheers, stay well. I know how this can get to ppp since i have eczema on my face as well. It can get itchy which is annoying.

• Posted

Hi thanks for this advice can you buy this cream? Or do u have to get it prescribed from gp? My go is struggling to get any steroid cream as the factory they get it from was burnt down?? Thanks carly
    • Posted

Hmm, i only know the only OTC steroid cream is hydrocortisone. I got it as a prescription from my derm. Maybe you could try another gp that uses a different supplier?
    • Posted

Good luck, might take a few days to see any changes. I would try to use steroid cream a maximum of 2 weeks. If this does not work for you, you might need a higher potent steroid cream. But avoid using them long term.
  • Posted

The only thing that helped my cracked fingers/thumbs was washing my hands a little less, wearing gloves for all cleaning chores and using something called "Working Hands", which they sell in certain hardware stores or Amazon - not sure if you can find this near you. It's a small tub of cream so thick it's like a paste. Avon has a hand cream called Silicone Glove I used to like, but this was far better for my hands when they got to the point of cracking (made by O'Keefe's I think)

It's awful to have dermatitis, isn't it??  For my son we tried eliminating foods and what seems like every cream and treatment. I wish you luck!

• Posted

Well, good thing those worked for you. I have never washed my hands alot, the only chores i did was wash dishes (not very often) since my mum took care of the chores and yet i still had eczema(hand, face, legs, arms) somehow since 4months ago which was annoying.

Changing diets didn't work at all for me.. still don't know why i would suddenly have eczema since i had pretty good skin.

• Posted

Try avoiding any detergent whatsoever getting on your hands? That includes shampoo, hand cleanser - everything. After a few days you should see a difference if that's contributing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.