Suffering badly from mouth ulcers at moment

Posted , 6 users are following.

N

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jill, sorry to hear you have mouth ulcers, it's unfortunately very common in polycythaemia, I assume you are taking Hydroxycarbamide /Hydroxyurea?

If so, taking your medication with Yogurt and some banana before and after the tablet helps greatly. Drink plenty of water when taking your meds too, this helps reduce the irritation that the chemotherapy causes.

Your GP should be able to prescribe a non alcahole based mouth was to aid in healing too.

Some find bonjela help release some of the symptoms but not all.

I hope that helps?

• Posted

Hi Jill -

I have these big time.  I use Listerine to sort of help.  Don't you hate it when you're chewing gum and it gets the mouth ulcer??

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are suffering the mouth ulcers. When I get them I use 2.5 muco adhesive buccal tablets. They are hydrocortisone tablets. Also rinse mouth with Cordysol mouthwash   I hope this helps
  • Posted

I keep a couple of tubes with me. Stings but it helps. I fill my mouth with it before I go to sleep whether I have ulcers or not. And then if I wake up during the night. Stings but at least it helps
  • Posted

As far as I know it's a good idea to avoid hot food , salt also works though don't fancy that myself.you could also keep melon in the chill that would be soothing.
  • Posted

Hi Jill. I am the last to comment on mouth sores. However, I have been getting them all my life before being diagnosed with PV. I use oragel for mouth sores. Works great. I get sores from foods I can't tolerate sometimes just eating too many tomatoes. juicy fruit gum, and curcummin, cinnamon, and ginger were added to the list recently. I do wonder if the Hydroxy has made me sensitive to spices recently.

I just stop eating whatever I notice causes the sores. I haven't had sores since stopping the offending foods. Harrishill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.