Sulfasalazine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have just been prescibed Sulfasalazine as well as the methotexrate, Has anyone had any bad reactions to this, I have read all the leaflets, tried asking the pharmacist who just told me read the leaflet.My concern is that i have had problems with methotexrate effecting my liver function and kidneys. Am i worrying for nothing about taking both drugs together.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hiya i started on sulfasalazine as i chose that over methotrexate. i developed a rash, i was advised to stop takin them which i did until it went and the restarted. i never had the radh again and the only side effect i do get is my pee is orange. iv not had any probs at all. good luck x
    • Posted

lol thats normal that your pee goes orange, completely harmless, it should say on the pharmacy dispencing label that its harmless too.
  • Posted

Hi Jane

I have had Sulfasalazine only and had a bad a bad reaction to it.  I ended up in hospital.  I started being off ichy and and something (can't remember what they said) happened with my white/red blood count.  As soon as I stoppped taking it and used antihystamines, I was fine but I will never be able to use them again.  Obviously this is me and may be fine for you.  Just make your you get checked out at the doctors regularly and be aware of feeling differently.  Hope they work for you :-) Anna x

• Posted

I have been on sulfasalazine about 2 years and had no side effects.It hasn't dulled my symptoms much thou
  • Posted

I've had severe RA for years not wanting to do the methotrexate and other medicines that cause other problems and have been taking prednisone (10 mg daily).  The RA has gotten so bad that I decided a little over a month ago to take one of the lessor potent drugs - Sulfasalazine.  So far I haven't had any side effects, but will give it another month to see if it will even help.  If you haven't looked at the print out that the pharmacy gives you with your prescription regarding Sulfasalazine, please read it - my print out says "some medicines may interact with this medicine. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:

*Anticoagulants (eg. warfarin) or Methotrexate because the risk of their side effects may be increased by this medicine...."  So talk to your doctor if you have concerns - I've had RA for 26 yrs and it's getting really bad - I didn't know it could & I'm still leary of taking all that other  stuff.  Hope it works out for the best for yousmile

• Posted

I have been on Methotrexate for the pass 5 years and due to this not really being as effected they have prescribe me to take this along with the Methotrexate, I have re- read all the leaflets, but there is still that little niggle that i cannot shift. Thank you all for your replies, very helpful.
  • Posted

Sulfasalazine seems to be pretty well tolerated, but some people have, or develop, allergies to sulfa drugs.  I'm taking meth and sulf, too.  The rheum would like to up the dose of meth, but we're waiting to see if the liver numbers go down.  I honestly don't know if the sulf is working much--but the meth is definitely helping with the RA.  I've been on the sulf about 3-4 months and the meth only 2 months,  I cannot get up from the floor or out of the bath very easily, but miracuously I can now walk and grip with my hands much better.  And more stiffness than pain, so I'm grateful for that.

Remember to drink lots of water on these meds.  If I develop a fever or rash, I'm stopping the meds, and I'm trying to help my liver by reducing.  If you're worried about liver, watch for jaundice in eyes or skin, unusual bruising or bleeding.  And I'm sure you know to avoid alcohol and fatty or fried foods, and to avoid excess iron.  Liver complications are a possibiity with sulf, but not common;  there are even reports that sulf might improve liver cirrhosis.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, eh?

• Posted

They tried me on the sulfasalazine and after 3 days I was miserably itching from head to toe.
  • Posted

I had to slowly introduce and increase sulphasalazine alongside mxt. No problems. 
  • Posted

Well i am on week 2, I have had headaches, sickness and the joints are still sore, I have read that it may take up to 3 months for the side effects to go, I will give it another couple of weeks, hoping these side effects ease off, The headaches are the worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.