Support groups

Posted , 5 users are following.

does anyone attend a bipolar support group? I have info about one nearby but am quite nervous about going

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi cararrato,

I attend a support group in Manchester called Moodswings, a charitytthat supports people with mental health issues, not just bi-polar. They are extremely supportive, they have one to one sessions, group sessions, drama and singing groups, outside activities, etc. I thoroughly recommend joining a support group. You will be made very welcome, and, most importantly, no one will judge you. We all have our battle scars. No big deal!

• Posted

Good day Carratto,

I have been attending the bipolar support group in my area for years now. The key component is confidentiality. What we hear there, what we say there, what we see there MUST stay confidential. The group is not judgemental. All of the members of the group have walked the walk, talked the talk... so we are basically all in the same boat. One thing that is common is that most people are compliant with their prescribed medications. If they are unhappy with a certain medication we recommend that they approach their doctor to find an alternative medication. We don't offer specific medication paths because everyone is different. There is no magic pill. Sometimes it takes years to get on the right cocktail of medications. When it comes to medications it's often trial and error on the part of the doctor until they find the right med for that person. Some people suffer more from depression, others suffer more from the mania side while there are some who suffer from scxhizo-affective disorder. No two people are the same. I find that the group is like a second family for me. because they are non judgemental. Every person has a different story to tell. How our group operates is this: During the first hour, each person is given 5-10 minutes to talk about their past week. There is no cross-talk allowed. They simply tell their story without interuption. During the second hour we choose a topic that is common to all of us and discuss that. It's great to be able to pour out your soul without being judged.

Don't be afraid of support groups. Most of the people have been there in the same place you now are in. They understand where you are coming from.

Our leaders are well trained to make sure that we edon't tell others how to run their lives or give out medication advice. Like I said there is no magic pill. No two people are the same. Being good listeners make us a reliable group to back to every week.

I realize that it's hard to open up to strangers but in the end they become your friends. They are people  you can trust with your feelings.

Go for it catarratto. May God bless you in your journey.

Mike AKA mjmdesk

• Posted

Dear Catarrato, I am in full agreement with the replies you have had so far.  Go and try the support group and you may be surprised at how useful it may be for you.  I hope you can pluck up the courage.  Yours Clare
  • Posted

Hi I would go along to a group if you wanted someone to go with.

• Posted

Dear Catarratto, Time has flown by.  Have you attended a support group yet?  Would be interested in how it went for you.  I know of one near by but it is on a Thursday afternoon when I am usually busy. (That's my excuse!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.