Supposed to start sulfasalazine today, nervouse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hoping someone has something positive to share about this drug, I am seriously scared but so tired of feeling bad.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

A friend takes it for a different skin disease & gets on well with it.  She took other drugs before but they caused a lot of problems.  

I hope it goes well for you Jennifer.  

• Posted

Hi Jennifer 

I have been on Sulfasalazine for 3 years at first once it got into the system which can take upto 3 months it worked very well for me, I had no side effects accept urine was bright yellow. Granted my condition has got worse but as we have previously said different people react diffrently to different meds. You got nothing to lose and more to gain. Sure you will be fine, ensure you have regular blood tests

Rob x

• Posted

Think of it (sulpasalazine) as simply a step along the way to a good quality of life?

Lots of positives about this drug. It works for lots of people. And even if it does not it's not the end of the world. Youre one step closer to biologic therapy.

Under UK NICE guideline, two tradtional DMARDS  must be tried and have not produced the desired results before you can try the Biologics.

No need to feel scared as you will be closely monitored whilst youre on the drug.

Rheumatology departments have nurses who understand the problems and are generally a phone call away (and a ring back) if you are uncertain about something. 

The process we all have to go through in trying drugs and waiting for them to have an effect is very tedious and long winded BUT think of that point somewhere in the future when you realise the pain and fatigue has subsided and your quality of life is better. It will happen! Hope youre one of the very lucky people who have a very rapid response!  

I know what youre feeling. I used to call it the psoriatic arthritis fog..Everything was dull and unclear. The disease had control of me but bit by bit the fog cleared and I was back in charge - not the disease!

• Posted

All I will say I feel for you

I have been through all the DMARDs and my system cannot take them as my white blood cells tank and I become ill. Because of this they will not give me BIOLOGICS so I am unable to have any medications other than ointments and sun treatments

All I can say is stick to the treatment and good luck. Be brave it is an awful condition 

B.

• Posted

What was the reason given for denial of the biologics by the docs? Curious, never heard of this before... Have you had a second opinion?

Is this for the skin disease or the arthritis?

• Posted

What else are you on? Methotrexate is usually the first line.
    • Posted

Hi Lucy 

I thought Sulfaslazine was the first then methatrexate, only because that is the way it went for me, I was put on Sulfasalazine on a low dose then increased to max dose as time when on, then lowered on Sulfasalazine when i was put on to Methortrexate. 

• Posted

Hi robert. I was out on mtx first and then sulphasalazines was ade in. I'm now of the sulphasalazines and on otezla with mtx instead

• Posted

Hi Lucy 

I quess it depends on your Rhumy then, at present im on Sulfasalazine 2 twice a day Methatrexate 8 once a week and just waiting for funding for Cimzia which I am told I will still be on the other two at the same time. 

Best wishes 

• Posted

ah - I found a huge improvement when they changed me to injections.  I'm on 20 mg once a week - and it worked really well for about a year and fewer side effects than oral.  then they've taken me off the sulphasalazine and moved me onto otezla alongside the mtx.  folic acid 5 mg every night except mtx day.

• Posted

Im on 20mg of MTX but only have folic acid once a week 2 days after i take MTX. I have been lucky and not had any side effects to any of my medication 
  • Posted

It didn't do anything for my psoriatic arthritis so was taken off it after 3 months . I'm now taking methotrexate and etoricoxib ( think that's the spelling ! )

The methotrexate is working well and side effects are minimal so don't worry Jennifer if one doesn't work the other one will .

• Posted

Sad to say I was unable to take any DMARD medications, because of that I was penalised and refused Biologic medications.

I have found however if I do not use steriod creams and tars my skin seems to be beginning to clear and even though the area looks red it is not as thin.

I am using honey bathroom shower gell and cocanut shower gell as well. When and if my skin gets flares I use Epaderm, Aquatious Cream and E45 cream.

My main problem is my joints and the need to take NSIDs medications with Tramadol, it would have been great if the DMARDS did not prove so toxic to me. So it is just one of those things, they really bottomed out my White Blood Count.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.