Supraventricular tachycardia and exercise!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys

I'm 22 and have been recently told I have SVT. I have no records of my heart rate during SVT but when seeing my cardiologist I was informed after description of episodes I have SVT.

When I do get an episode, I feel a "buzz" in my chest and know my heart is racing (normally about 190 BPM), and more recent events feeling faint has been common.

I first experienced it when I was about 12 , and have had many episodes since, my worst one lasting over an hour , normally episodes are between 10 and 30 mins.

I love to exercise , Gym and soccer are 2 of my favourite past times and have had to cut them out recently due to SVT , 9 times out of 10 I know I will get an SVT Attack when playing football due to my body positioning and tensing when playing such as shooting.

On rest my ECG's and other tests have been normal.

Just wondering has anyone had common experiences and if so any advice would be apriciated, I would love to get back exercising properly

Any stories of people's SVT exevidences would also be great to hear about.

Thanks for Reading.

Tom, Ireland.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also have SVT and am an avid exerciser.  I love to run and regularly run half marathons.  I was diagnosed 6 years ago and had an ablation. Two years later my symptoms came back.  I currently take Flecainide every 12 hours to control the episodes.  This medication also allows me to exercise.  Mine is also triggers by exercise with heart rate in between 190 and 210.  It usually corrects itself and I keep running.  My doctor knows I'm an avid runner and encourages the exercise.  I'm a 48 year old female.  See if your doctor can prescribe a medication that will help control it. My cardiologist said Flecainide is the best for people who enjoy exercise.  Good luck to you!!

• Posted

Oh man.. I'm 4 days post SVT ablation. I'm 19 years old and I can tell ya that I know the exact feelings that you were feeling. Though, mine would come completely random.. beats would hit the 260BPM mark and I would have to go get the famous drug adenosine to reset my heart.. no fun. I wasn't able to do anything, until my Dr recommended to get my ablation, and let me tell you.. even though I've had constant palpitations for the passed 4 days, I can tell you I feel MUCH better than I did before hand, and I don't have to worry about getting stuck in those rhythms ever again. I'm sure you'd like to continiue doing these activities with no risk whatsoever, I definitely recommend getting an SVT ablation.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I am a 64 year old women and I have had SVT for 20 years.  In the past year the SVT epsodes have gotten worse.  I love to exercise, lift weights and aerobics but I have had to stop going to the gym because it would cause me to have an attack and I would have to go to the ER to get an injection of adenosine. I am currently  taking diltiazem, but my doctor said the only way to actually get rid of the attacks is with an ablation. I have one scheduled for January, 2017. My doctor told me ablations have a 90% cure rate. Has your doctor recommened an ablation. It's difficult to live with svt because it can inhibit your life so much. I wish you the best!

• Posted

Hi Tom

I am 29 and I have been having episodes of SVT for nearly 5 years and I noticed this after exercise. Then i would get them randomly bending down or even laying on my side, they are a real pain.

I used to run so much and loved the gym but after the episodes of the SVT I was too scared to exercise . Even though my cardiologist has assured me I will be fine I cant seem to bring myself to do it, my life has been on hold really.

I was booked in for an ep study and ablation last october but then found out I was pregnant so this had to be rescheduled, so I have it tomorrow.

Im really nervous but hope it works and I then can get back to the old me again, I do still exercise but not like I used to, I cant wait to run and push myself again .

Kayleigh

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel Kayleigh ,

Best of luck with the ep study and ablation .. hope all goes well

• Posted

So I had the ep study yesterday and they found where the palps were coming from, unfortunately they decided not to ablate it as it was in a tricky area but it can be done, its the 3rd less common type of SVT, I have artrial tachycardia.

They would rather me try some tablets first as my palps are less frequent .

They could only set off my palps with a shot of adrenaline so it goes to show it is triggered by exercise or overexertion.

So I am happy as its not a serious condition and im so excited to exercise .

In regards to the ep study, i was really nervous but it was fine, they inserted the probes into a vein in my groin, its just a little sore today,- the staff at the leeds general infirmary were excellent , very reassuring and made the experice very relaxed.

Kayleigh

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I'm a Presidential Physical Fitness Reception, Taught Aerobics. Ran for Special Olympics Torch Run and Going for the Lifetime Fitness Award.....

To add to all of this I also have a Pacemaker/Defibrillator..........I don't allow life to live me but rather I live life. I have SVT with my first Defibrillator Incident sitting still in the bath tub......to this day I feel someone was holding my shoulders that day when my upper torso was knocked to a 45 degree angle and I was blacked out for at least 15 seconds with a heart rate of over 325 beats per minute by the Defibrillator.I even went to a baseball game that evening.. Crazy right? All this said in summation, God has great plans for you......live life. ..be an example for others and always thank the maker for the clay he molded you so special. Don't stop your dreams and goals......he will make the way for all the good things you love. Amen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.