surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had the first surgery 12 days ago. and hand still painful what should realistic expectations be as i will have next surgery next week..  I have been off work as i would not be able to work with this pain

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ron - I had my surgeries two weeks apart. Quite honestly, at least from my experience, it took four months to get rid of the pain completely. You will experience variations of pain from stabbing, shooting, stinging, etc., for quite a while. 

We all are different and hopefully you'll get through yours without too much pain. All I know is it got to the point where I never thought I was going to be pain free. Here I am 7 months later and I will still get a twinge or two but basically pain free. You didn't mention what kind of work you do. There were certain things I couldn't do for quite a while.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Posted

im a driver job doesnt allow any restrictions   how long were u off
  • Posted

one of the problems I did have was gripping the steering wheel of my car. My work involved a lot of data input on a computer use of my hands and fingers. Resting my hands so I could type was uncomfortable. My first surgery I only took three days off. My 2nd one I had additional surgery done on a finger so I was a hurting unit and took two weeks off. Unfortunately, you're going to be in pain for a while. After a while the incision site is the most pain. Like I said, for me, four months before I could say I was pain free with an occasional twinge that reminded me my hands were cut into. You'll get through this. Hang in there -
  • Posted

Hi-had surgery 5 weeks ago, has helped me to wear the brace at night and some during the day. It rubbed a bit at first but not too bad. Can move all fingers & make a fist. Still slightly swollen and tender but have returned to Zumba with no problem. Massage it daily (or hubby helps me!) Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Ron - hope you are back at work by now.  If not, here's some info I hope you will find helpful:

Are you based in the UK?  Have your pain and function improved?  If not, you may need to get a referral (or self refer if available in your area) for physiotherapy.

Long term problems may mean you are eligible for Personal independence payment (PIP).  you can find out more on the disabilityrightsuk website by searching on there for their PIP guidance.

With regard to work - please contact Access to work - you can find the number by searching on google.  They will come into your workplace and assess what adaptations and equipment you may need, and pay for it.  That equipment is then yours and moves with you if you change job!

• Posted

hey   still incredible pain in both hands wrists.  iam in n mn us  they tell me hands will never be same.   on meds to control pain

dont know what else to do  back at work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.