surgery date

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.  I got my surgery date on Thursday - November 3rd, for a Hellermyotomy.  Will be glad to have this surgery, and as the surgeon said to me, '...a better quality of life, eating-wise.' 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Donna, that's great news!! I will pray that your surgeon has extra skills that day. I'm beginning to regret having the POEM surgery. Having a really hard time keeping the acid under control. If I sleep anymore erect, I will be standing up , lol. I'm actually having my post surgery endoscopy the 14th, so in a few days and since I had such a difficult time with my blood pressure since my surgery I am a little curious as to what he will find and tell me 50% of the truth . Should have been a comic.

When are you supposed to start your clear liquid diet? For me that was a struggle but time goes very fast. I'm very happy for you. How long will you be in the hospital? Do you know how many your surgeon has done and also his success rate ?? Well, if you have any questions that I can help you with please give a shout or if just feeling a little nervous and need someone to listen, always here. Good luck, wish you nothing but the best and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you, Robert.  I have pretty good trust and faith in my surgeon.  He is the one who pioneered laproscopy surgery in the Canadian Province I live in, and he is the only surgeron in the Province, who does the Hellermyotomy surgery. 

Right now I'm on a soft/smooth diet and that is a challenge, especially to make sure that actual nutrition is getting into my body.[puddings are my friend!]  I don't have my pre-op info yet, but I remember reading somewhere about a liquid diet for 2 days before surgery.  Heck, I'm almost on a liquid diet now, so that won't be a problem if it is more than 2 days before surgery.

It has been amazing how quickly this has all  moved.  If the GI's office had sent info right away to the surgeon's office, I probably would be having the surgery at the beginning of next month, instead of Nov. 3rd.  It took a month for the stuff to be sent to the surgeon [no excuse for that!].

I might go home the same day of surgery, or not.  I might be having labproscopy surgery, or a full incision.  All this will depend upon what they find.  I was warned that there is a chance that a strand or something might be 'nicked' during surgery, and then have to be sutured, so then I would be in hospital for a couple of days.

My surgeon didn't even mention POEM, which was fine with me.  I haven't read too many 'good' reports about that surgery.  However, with a Hellermyotomy there is still the risk of acid-reflux or Gerd. 

Right now, at times, I feel so down..and am wondering if this is part of this rare disorder....I feel blessed and grateful that surgery is going to happen so soon, and as my surgeon said...'he wants to give me a better quality of life...eating-wise.'  Not perfect, not even normal, but better.  Also knowing, that in the future, this surgery may have to be repeated.

Hey, I just remembered a question I wanted to ask you...'post-surgery endoscopy..'  is that for Hellermyotomy as well?

Again, thank you for your support.  I'm sure there will be questions, or a need for support.   When I told the surgeon I had joined this forum, and was able to get printed info, he said, 'You know, I don't have this disorder, so I don't 'know' how you feel; but those who are in the support group do...this a good thing you have done.'  And it has been.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.