Surgery in 3 days..any advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi..I have surgery this Tuesday, 8 months ago I Tore my rotator, my labrum, superastratus, torn from shoulder to my bicep, and from the shoulder to my collarbone..my Dr. Had to remove part of my collarbone..I asked him how this would compare to the 2 fusions I've had from a car accident, ( I've had 27 surgeries from that accident) he said it will be worse..so I'm just freaked out! I'd like to know how painful it has been for anyone else with similar injury mm..my Dr.said that everything that can be injured in the shoulder.I have..so any advice would be much appreciated..thank you..Kat

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think you mean supraspinatus but whetever it is that is a shocking injury to have and I do feel sorry for you. My pain would be nothing compared to yours. I hope things go well for you in and after surgery. The shoulder is such a loose joint that anything that is not in its proper place will cause pain. Other here may be able tohelp you with handling pain.
  • Posted

I had rotator cuff tear and bursitis. Had the surgery last October. It was very painful. I had physical therapy and it takes time to heal and took me 6 months for the pain to go away. My surgeon told me to move the affected arm more often. Now I am pain free and my ROM is improved so much better. Yay!!
    • Posted

Dora, the surgery for rotator cuff is very painful. Just take pain meds and do exercises for the shoulder. I had to sleep on recliner chair for 6 months because of pain. I have lots of patience with this. Now I am pain free. I'm happy!

• Posted

Hi there. I had a triple fix surgery 19 weeks ago. Full tear subscapularuis tendon, displaced lesser tuberosity fracture repair and a torn labrum, so I can offer some level of comparison! I had arthroscopic, and then a 3 inch open incision surgery five days later.  Yes it is very painful. I've never experienced anything like it. Here is my advice:

1. get two large gel ice packs so u can switch out all the time. I wrap in a pillow case, works great. I would sleep on it for the first ten weeks to relieve pain

2. Get a good book and small reading light. I woke every 2 hours in pain for the first 6 weeks so had to get up, move arm around, get ice, and try to read to distract and get bk to sleep. My real pain didn't go away until week 10

3. Get a tens machine, this was my best tool for pain. I used it five times a day

it is truly an awful thing to go through but if you just find little habits to work for you, you will be ok. I still have pain sometimes at 19 weeks but Advil works. I worked very very hard through painful therapy 4-5 days a week and still don't have back range of motion so it is a long road to prepare for. But it dies get better... Every week you will feel improvements but it will be up and down.  

Good luck!

• Posted

Katherine. I am so sorry for the surgery you are about to experience. I pray you have an excellent surgeon. You will have much pain. Do everything you are told to control the pain. I had a torn rotator cuff and spurs and an acromioplasty. Finally having days with little to no pain, my surgery was 4 months ago. Movement is still somewhat limited. You are having what seems to be a more intensive surgery. Just remember, this too shall pass. Prep your home space before your surgery. Hope you have a recliner to sleep in. ALWAYS do everything you are told once the day comes that you can start therapy. It's so important. Don't give up. Shoulders are the worst for healing. God bless you and your surgeon with a very successfull outcome.

• Posted

Catherine, I just had the rotator cuff surgery and bone spurs removed four days ago, I am still in severe pain. I know other people that have had the same surgery and it was like this for all of them. They tell me to just keep hanging on, I am trying but it is difficult. I would love to tell you that it will be fine, but you have a long road ahead of you .again I am only on day four and I am still taking my pain meds regularly . I keep texting them for reinsurance and they tell me that it will get better, there is slight improvement but very little . Hang in there and you can send me an email if you like, misery loves company ... Lol
  • Posted

How Katherine. Just wondering how things are going for you. Hoping for some improvement at this point? Any? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.