surgery is happening

Posted , 8 users are following.

my total ankle replacement surgery is happening this Tuesday the 6th.  I've been in pain for almost 6 years and I finally have insurance to do this.  I'm very nervous and scared but I know this is my only hope of getting some relief.  The thought of not walking again for months is not something I'm happy about because I live alone but I have been preparing and feel I'm in a much better position than when the accident first happen.  So my apartment is ready even made some home cooked meals and froze them got all my medical equipment crutches, walker and wheelchair they are taking me to a nursing facility after I am released from the hospital because I live alone so hopefully I will be good to go home soon.  I sure hope this works!  keep your fingers crossed for me thanks,  Debi   

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Debi...i had ankle replacement in May. I had suffered for years. I got where i could'nt walk or go anywhere.I was also scared to have surgery. But now i am so glad i had it done. I wish i would have had it done sooner. I am back to my old self and my ankle is good as new. The surgery wasnt bad at all and i had a very good doctor. So don'

t worry you will be glad you done it.

• Posted

I would return the walker, crutches, and the wheel chair...and purchase either an iWalk2 or a knee scooter...best wishes for success
  • Posted

I wish you success,

Did they explain what would be like after this surgery? How old are you? Be strong my friend...

• Posted

Dear Debie

Good luck with your TAR. Take a look at my utube video as it should give you some positive thoughts. Put in the following to Google. Yogesh TAR richard

I had to go through this on my own and had a difficult house to cope with....several flights of stairs did not help! I found one of the big challenges was carrying my drink from the kitchen.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Debi I didn't have surgery but just out of a cast for fractured ankle, found it tough, put sponge on the crutches, get a little bag for over your shoulder for carrying things and one of those cups with lids that you can put in bag or pocket of bath robe to carry around , best of luck I hope it goes well

• Posted

Hi Debi

Good luck today, don't worry about the op. I had mine a year ago (Nov 2015) I had 3 months off work and been back ever since.

Best thing i had done. I can walk, play golf and even jog. I can move the new ankle almost as much as the old ankle. I can't run but thats ok.

The ankle is still swollen and i have lost some feeling but again - better than not being able to walk at all.

All the best.

Steve

• Posted

Debi, I hope you get a really good outcome. Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Oh, I also recommend knee scooter. I had trimal fracture 8/14 with 11 day wait for ORIF. I got one with a basket and it was a lifesaver!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.