Surgery K-Wire

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I had surgery 4 weeks ago and a couple of days ago I had my bandages removed so I am left with the wire out of my toe which I can not get wet.

I was wondering of if could wash my foot and if so how? Because it's a getting a little sweaty and smelly not attractive I know haha.

Please help!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would think with a mild wipe such as a bathroom one. Gentle and carefully avoiding the surgical site.
  • Posted

So I had a similar problen.  I was told not to take baths, (soak the foot) but I found a waterproof legging, that came up to my knee almost and it kept my foot dry while still being able to shower. They should be removing the pin soon and you won't have to worry about getting it wet.  6-8 weeks is normal time, but don't be surprised if it takes a little longer.  

• Posted

I have one of those so I am able to shower but it's can I clean the foot some how because it's really sweaty haha

• Posted

Hi, Lydia - I've been forbidden to shower for 6 weeks to avoid getting my bandage wet.  Pre-surgery, I went to REI and stocked up on no-rinse camping bath wipes.  They are wonderful!  You can order them on-line from many sources.  Good luck!

• Posted

Sure!  From what you said, your issue is just the foot with the wire still in it.  A baby wipe should be fine for that.  For the entire body, my camping wipes have been a great shower replacement - they are thick, soft, and they smell nice.  And no rinsing!  Don't know what I would have done without them!

• Posted

They sound like a really good idea which I would of known about them sooner when I didn't have the waterproof foot bag thingy

• Posted

I also would really like to know I have a k wire sticking out of my toe and I have Been sleeping with my healing shoe on ... would it be ok to sleep without it or will I push the pin in my sleep?
    • Posted

I would not take a chance on getting it caught in the covers. You only have a few weeks left and it will be over. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.