Surgery on the 6th

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am due to have my left hip revised next Monday, 6th Feb. My original replacement was done in February 1988 so it hasn't done bad. I was only 17 when I had it done first time and I am now 46. I am really looking forward to getting this surgery done so I can get on with life.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a lot of experience already! But I think we all look forward to it - even if there may be a bit of trepidation. I know I couldn't wait for mine to be done. Just so happy with the result....

• Posted

36years of suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed at the age of 10.5yrs. I have bilateral hips, knees and shoulders and have had 2 heart valve replacement surgeries. I had a left knee revision in September 2015 and now have a hinged knee. I broke my femor in November 2014 so have a proximal femoral replacement (metal rod in place of the femor) and they had to also revise the right hip at the same time.

I guess I have a bit of experience lol

• Posted

Wow. Do you get Christmas cards from the hospital and invites to the staff party?biggrin I have a friend at work like you, diagnosed as a child. She's also one tough cookie. I guess you have to be to live with arthritis at that age. 

What does "getting on with life" look like - do you have something special in mind? I was planning to tour Central America in September for my 60th, but unfortunately will have to postpone until 2018 as the new hip made it obvious that my ankle needed major surgery! Carp! 

• Posted

Haha haha.

My 'getting on with life' is to do more with my furkids. I have 7 dogs and 10 pet ferrets who are my everything. I currently walk the dogs 2 at a time using my mobility scooter. 3 are ex-racing greyhounds, 2 are lurchers and 2 are kokoni x's from Cyprus. I volunteer with Forever Hounds Trust and am on the homing team in the Eastern Region. It will be wonderful to be able to join in with some of the meet & greet fundraisers.

Wow, your trip sounds like it will be a wonderful adventure.

• Posted

10 pet ferrets?!! I have 3 (had 4, my little boy passed last month) but they do bring this world alive. How do you handle with all you medical procedures?

I'm waiting for my surgery date and it's weighing on my mind that I won't be able to play with them... Well, not chase them around the house! smile

You really have been through a lot. I hope this is the end of the (surgical) road for you.

All the very best to you...

Caron

• Posted

I have 2 that live in a 12ft x 4ft ferret court and 8 that live in a 12ft x 6ft ferret court. They will be going to boarding in Northamptonshire on Saturday for 4 weeks initially. Depending on how I get on will depend if they need to stay a bit longer. They do make me laugh
  • Posted

Wow is all I can say. You are one tough and strong lady. Best of luck on the procedure. Compared to what you have been through, this will be a piece of cake
  • Posted

Wow! Your hip lasted a long time! I'm 46 also, my first hip replacement was a partial that wasn't good from the start but my second at 26 was great for awhile, good 10-12 years. It is amazing how much they've improved. I never had physical therapy for either and they had a special department for hip and knee replacement in the hospital (Minnesota). I think all I was told to get was a reacher, now I have a toliet riser, leg lifter, tub bench and my family made sure to get chair risers. I wish you all the best in your surgery! Was your replacement cemented?

• Posted

I have toilet raisers and many more gadgets that help. Being single means you find a way of doing stuff too.

Hoping my new hip will last as long as the first one.

• Posted

You've been through a lot. Your first hip lasted a long time, and I think we're all pleased to hear that! Good luck, wishing you a good recovery.

• Posted

Well, my surgeon said 20 years and counting for the life expectancy. I bet you pass that by! Considering I was told 10-15 years for the second!
    • Posted

I was told 10-15yrs for the first one so didn't do bad getting an extra 14 yrs out of it 😅

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.