SURGERY OR NOT?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I'm 17 years old; Male. I had pain in my left abdomen and in my back. In my CT scan, it shows that my left kidney is severely dilated. I've gone through many tests and found out that I've got a stricture in my ureter and that caused my urine to go back or re-flux. After having Nuclear Medicine Imaging(NMI) to test my kidney function, it turned out that my left kidney is only 16% working this time while my right kidney is 84%. My urologist suggested me to have an operation and to reconstruct my left ureter to save my left kidney. In my mind, I've got a question; is it worthy to save this 16% and have my surgery or not?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi deandrere.. morning hope you are okay. I am not an expert but I have had kidney surgery in 1996 and been healthy since. Got a thyroid problem just now but it's getting dealt with . I am 50. Like you I had the reflux as both ureters were blocked. One working 30% and one 70%. If the urologists are willing to clear the blockage and help both kidneys to function well . I would take it!!! As if anything happens to one kidney you always have the other. I might need a kidney one day if mine get worse but if you have two and you would have your own. So yes definitely think about accepting all valuable help to get both kidneys working and the reflux stopped. Take care of yourself. Elizabeth 😀

• Posted

Hi miss Elizabeth! I'm just wondering if that 16% is worthy? Thank you for your reply by the way. smile

• Posted

Hi,

Have you investigated what surgery they want to perform? If it is a stent like surgery they do it under local while you are awake.  It doesn't hurt and it is not invasisve.  Why don't you ask what is involved so you can make an informed choice.  I would have the surgery to see if it help as if your kidney dies they will want to remove it and that is bigger surgery under general.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.