surgical boot questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a lapidus done last Thursday so I'm day 6 post op.yesterday I had s doctor appointment and was put in a surgical boot.I was told to sleep in it and practice ankle movements because I've been having osjn that my doctor said could be from blood bothering the nerves as I had blood on my dressings.my question is can you take the boot off of you're just laying on the couch or something? or does it only come off for stegrching and that's it? I'm in a compression sock and am non weight bearing for 6 weeks and I have 1 plate and 6 screws.any help is appreciated as it'd be nice to take the boot off and ice the ankle.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had the same surgery and i am 8 weeks post op, and I was allowed, to take the boot off, if I stayed on the coach with feet elevated, once I wanted to move, for example go to bathroom, I had to put the boot back on, i wasnt allowed to wet it, I hope this helps, good luck, be patient,
    • Posted

did you ever have a difficult time getting your heel to be as far back as it should be? I keep wondering if my pain is from my ankle not being 90° like it should be which could explain the discomfort for my toes.I have had a hard time being my ankle.
    • Posted

No, I don't remember that, but it's early right now your still feeling pain, like Rosie said, try not to move the foot with the boot off, hope this helps,

• Posted

In regards to the ice, my doctor didnt want me to ice, just elevate, so you should check with your doctor, they are all so different,
  • Posted

I too had the same surgery and have had two done over 2 years.  You do not have to keep the boot on whilst in bed or on a setee but the minute you want to move the boot goes on.  Don't ever risk moving without it.  Good luck with your recovery it is a long slow process.  I am 7 months and when I was 7 months after the first one it seemed I turned a corner, same with this one.  I feel I am limping less, hardly ever swelling and again turning a corner.  They say one year for lapidus but I think 7 months is the turning point.  
  • Posted

turns out I can have it out only when I'm resting and icing it other than that it needs to stay on.thanks everyone! it feels weird having it out...I feel tense and nervous about hurting it haha
  • Posted

Hi Nemo, I had the same experience as Rosie with regard to using the weight bearing shoe to move from sofa to bathroom to bed . I had my foot elevated as high as my chest for the first 6 weeks and the boot always went on my foot when I had to leave the sofa.  The big thing seems to be that the front of the foot should not have any weight on it at all for the first 6 weeks . I was very disciplined about this.  I am still tortured with pain 14 weeks later but there are small improvements ... Waiting for the 7 months watershed with great hope .
    • Posted

What kind of pain Filly?  I didn't really have pain unless I did my exercises, that,s when it's s really painful.  Is is what you mean?  
  • Posted

Oops ...Sorry Nemo . I stayed on sofa most of 3 weeks ( not 6) without moving too far . After that I continued to use weight bearing shoe for a further 3 weeks.. The shoe came off after 6 weeks .
  • Posted

Sorry for confusion Rosie. No, I meant that I followed the same pattern of  wearing the weight bearing shoe. You are so lucky that your pain comes with exercise; mine is present most of the time, becoming more severe with exercise. I expect it to go eventually and I have been swimming, getting physiotherapy and exercising the foot since week eight. Just wish it would improve a bit quicker.
    • Posted

Oh dear poor you.  I never experienced much pain with either of mine, only when bending my toe back and forth. I found it hard to create pain actually and was told if it wasn't painful I wasn't doing my exercises correctly.  I was given an exercise of squatting on toes putting all the pressure on them.  This does the trick and I try and do when I remember and at 7 months it doesn't hurt so much now as I am more flexible. Still not quite out of the woods yet but I'm getting there,hardly any swelling except when strenuously walking.  I am n my feet all day as well with my job.  Hang on in there things will get better eventually I'm sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.