Surgical menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, im37 years. I have recently had a total hysterectomy and I'm looking into HRT. I'm considering an alternative HRT such as black cohosh, the reasons behind this is my age and the fact that I will be on HRT for a lonnnng time and the cancer risks are what concern me. Any advice/info really would be gratefully received. Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

im no expert but I had a partial hysterectomy a year ago and had been on HRT for 5 months so I've given it a go but I felt rotten , distant and just no energy so I'm now trying Ayurvedic medicine and currently in a light detox before I go onto herbs full of phytoestrogens.

Definitely try alternative therapies, I've also found seeing a nutritionist very encouraging and having help with eating the right foods...acupuncture also worked very well for me...very calming and balancing... it's just researching all the time and finding a support group like this really helps!

all the best, you're not alone

• Posted

I have been using hrt for 26+ years and don't plan to go off it.  Always oestradiol - it is bio-identical.  Started with pellet implants, then when they stopped making them, I went on to patches (the strongest strength) topped up with a gel day because they don't last long enough for me.  This year I found a compound chemist who makes the pellets and now back to having implants.  For me, the best way, as the body only takes the oestrogen as it needs it.

However, my body needs a lot and I use up a 12 month one in 9 months.  The only side effects have been good ones.

You will find a lot of ladies on this forum who have used oestrogen long term and plan to keep doing so forever.

• Posted

I have been on H.R.T for 12 years never felt better. Have been told I have to come off as  my endometrial cancer has know returned. 5 years ago I tried to come off it and it was horrendous ie walking around work with sweaty hair. I have been looking at alternatives and sage has been recomended . Anyone any ideas

• Posted

Hi Rosielee,

ive found eating a diet rich in phytoestrogens is helping, plus yoga and meditation to calm yourself so it's easier to deal with hot flushes ( avoiding caffeine too). I came off HRT 11 days ago ( I had been on it for 6months) and just taking it one day at a time and breathing deeply and bringing positive thoughts of love and sunshine to help me feel positive at a difficult time.

do hope you feel better soon.. keep going and researching... are you in the USA? I'm in the south of England where there doesn't seem to be much help or support around.. so I'm very glad to have this site!

we will all get through this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.