Surviving Glandular fever...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I thought I would start a discussion, I have written about my experience in a few other threads but wanted to create my own in the hopes it offers people hope and comfort because in the darkest times it's what I needed.

I started to feel very unwell May 2016, back and forth to the doctors but didn't find out it was glandular fever until July. I also believe if I had of rested earlier I would maybe not have suffered so bad but because it took two months for a diagnosis I carried on working and working out, which absolutely ruined me.

I had a horrific summer swollen glands, couldn't eat, couldn't move, in agony... sure you all know. Could barely make it to the toilet I was so weak. Sent to cancer clinics because I had so many lumps in my neck, which was a scary time. Literally thought this was it. Flashbacks to the worst of it and me screaming in agony, thinking I couldn't go on and if I ever recovered I would never, ever take movement and life for granted again.

By September I was moving around the house more but I well and truly paid for it, I would be in agony, muscles would spasm and I would barley be able to move. Began to really loose hope that I would get better. As well as being ill... I lost a part of myself to it. I would see my reflection and cry because I would look terminally ill and did not recognise myself. Life was about coping minute by minute and I didn't have the energy to think past that, bed 247 with a lot of care and support from my family.

By October I was forced back to work because of my living situation. I had no choice and it took everything I had to keep it up. A few weeks in and I had a MASSIVE break down which was detrimental to my recovery and I finally admitted to work how I wasn't coping. This took a lot of anxiety away but my mood was beginning to suffer as it had been dragging on for so long I began to get depressed. Somehow I made it to the Christmas break.

After Xmas had another mini melt down because I think you put so much pressure on yourself ' I will be better by then' etc and when your not it just wrecked havoc with my anxiety.

I kept pushing through. I think the worst is it's not a smooth straight recovery it's zig zag, forwards and backwards. It goes from a good minute out of the day. To a good hour or two. Then to oh today's been manageable. And now I'm at a few days have been okay. But then the next might make you crash and remind you your not there quiet yet.

It's been the hardest nine months of my life. The GF throat and sickness disappears after a few months although I have nerve damage in my neck because of it so on medication for that. It's the fatigue, the pain and agony, just functioning destroys my body let alone get through day to day life and I have relied heavily on pain relief medication.

I kept regularly visiting my doctor which I highly recommend and he referred me to the pain clinic which helps very much so. I have also had a chronic fatigue assessment and they said although they are on the fence they believe this is still post viral fatigue and even though it 10 months on it's a very short term in grand scheme of chronic pain and fatigue.

I remember reading something on a chat room saying someone had GF and CF and what saved them was cardio and I thought are you serious. What sort of advise is that to somebody who can barley make it upstairs or down the street.

I Am a very active person which means this has made me feel even worse about myself being so immobile. Slowly loosing a piece of me to the illness and my body is changing because of the lack of exercise which I hate. But. In December. (So 7 months on) I had a thought... I'd like to go for a walk and I wonder if I could jog. Now. To someone suffering with GF to even have that thought is a MASSIVE step forward. So I went. And it was hard. And I collapsed after and everything hurt and twitched and I had to take codene to cope. But then I tried again a week later. And for 4-6 weeks I kept trying and trying. And although it hurt and I suffered terribly after for days... as each week goes by I get 1% stronger and stronger.

It is now march and I am running 3 miles, 3 x a week. I have to listen to my body and be very very mindful. But seriously. I understand now. You have to not let it control you and PUSH through it. Now, you will know if the pain you are feeling is ready for that. Because when I first read someone saying this I was like stfu, how ridiculous. But like I said, I think the first indication you are in a better place is positive thoughts about DOING something.

I am still struggling. I am still in recovery. I still don't feel 100% me and I hate photos been taken because I still don't think I look like me and I still feel like a sick person. It's been very very hard because you have to be mindful and all the services tell you to take every little thing as a positive and focus on how FAR you have come not how FAR you have to go. I find this hard. I think the best advise I could give (but have found it hard to follow myself) was to pace yourself and see every single thing as a positive. Once you start having thought of attempting to do things do it. It took me, as I said, 1-2 months for a gentle jog to not destroy me after. You just have to get to a point where you listen to your body but then ignore it's attempts to stall you too. Because CF is all about our pain receptors been damaged thanks to virus so they are constantly in fight or flight activation mode.

I am still a fair few months off a full recovery and I don't believe it will be until the summer (I hope). Doctors like to say weeks but when you talk to other people it is more like months/year. It's so hard not to be hard on yourself and loose hope and some days are manageable some you have to stay in bed and not move. I just refuse to let it turn into something bigger!!!

It's not days/ weeks but I'll say each month you get a little bit closer and a little bit closer. I think if I wasn't forced into work I'm not sure where I would be now. If I would of had a quicker recover or if I would of struggled to keep moving because I didn't have too. I think when you take that next step (work or exercise) do know it will make you feel worse. It will be very very hard but just keep pushing through and listen to your body.

I also take lots of vitamins, b12 is advised for GF I also take D3 and omega 3 and iron. All highly advised for GF / CF suffers. Healthy diet is also advised and I swear I read that dairy, wheat and red meat etc can make you worse I don't know. I also have a monthly deep tissue massage which really helps and have been advised acupuncture but have yet to try it.

As you can see, it's been a very long time for me and I'm still struggling. Make sure you have someone you can talk to and a good support network. Chase your doctor into referrals too so you can get the right support there. The biggest thing I clung on to was that the fact there is improvement. Even if it is 1% each month is a POSITIVE. Because if it had turned into chronic fatigue /ME you would see NO improvement after six months. Or decline. So hold on to that and keep going. Pacing yourself, REST. And resting before you need to rest. Learning to be mindful. It all helps. I look forward to reading from people who have fully recovered as I still have my ups and downs but determined to make it through.

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sophie, your post was God sent! I am in month 8. Making some progress. Can identify with lots of the things you said. Jesus has been with me but I too have and still suffer muscle pain and agony.

Thank you again for your post!

God bless and keep you!

Rhonda

• Posted

Hey Rhonda,

Been thinking about you also and hoping you are making progress - hang in there Jesus will definitely heal!!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks so much Rhonda.

I guess we just have to keep resting, pacing ourselves and stay positive! It's so hard but I have hope we will get back to us and we will get through it!

• Posted

Hi Craig, I have been struggling but am making some progress. I was told that I probably had colon cancer but Praise God I do not. CT scan suggested it and GI doc said he felt sure it was but colonoscopy was clear!

I have gained a little weight but my appetite is not great yet. Praying and praising for every bit of progress!

Your comments are always so encouraging. What a great ministry!

God bless and keep you! Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Sophie, was wondering if you have gained your weight back yet? If so, how did you eat to gain weight?

Thank you for all the encouragement!

God bless you for your great kindness!

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that terribly frightening and worrying time, just praise God as you say that it is not anything as serious as that, what a terrible time you've been through. Praying is the best for sure Rhonda, God will answer and is working for your good in these and all circumstances I feel certain!!

You will definitely get there Rhonda, there is still recovery there for you I really believe that. I still vividly remember how exhausting and draining going through the experience of glandular fever was, mentally, physically and emotionally. Recovery takes time but you will get there in the end even though it often feels forwards and backwards with no set pattern to it. Hang in there and praise God as you say!!

God bless you too and thanks for the best wishes and kind words!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

Just wanted to say thanks to you for sharing this story. I found it very moving and I'm sure others will find it very motivating. I also went through a tough time with glandular fever around 10 years ago, you're right that you just need to listen to your body and it's zig-zag in how recovery goes.

It definitely sounds like you have had such an awful time, but what marvellous spirit and courage you have shown to keep going and to even start running again! That's a tremendous achievement well done indeed! Remember each day is another day towards recovery and you won't ever have to go back to where you were before I truly believe. Remember not to overdo it though and just take it at the pace you feel is right for you - frustrating I know but eventually you will feel back to full fitness again, I have no doubt!

Take care and thanks again for sharing

Craig

• Posted

Thank you craig, that was such a lovely message to read. I really hope so and that the only way is up now. I wish I found this forum a while back it would of been very helpful!

You are right when you say not to over do it, on bad days my body does tell me when I've done too much as I can get splitting headaches and temps as well as the pain, which I know is a sign of CF but rest does help so that's what keeps me Positive! Although it feels like an incredibly long journey I hope at the end of this year I can look back on this all as a short period in my life I got through! Thanks for your kind words and support.

• Posted

Really inspiring Sophie thank you. I am recovering from GF which was at its peak last November. Like you say you need to push through and take control of GF as much as possible, don't let it rule you. Easy said than done but as you and others have positive stories it is possible and it has aided me in my recovery. Still not 100% and have the odd really bad day but as Craig says each time is not as bad as the intitial early days. Hoping to start back with gentle running in April.

• Posted

Hey!

I'm so glad! And that's such great news you are heading in the right direction too. I literally thought I would never get there and sometimes I still have the bad days but you just have to focus on everything you've done hey! Good luck with the running, like I said, took me a good few weeks not to feel dreadful after each gentle jog - would wreck me for work also and even now if I over do stuff I get a high temp and a banging headache (which used to get me so worried as they are signs of CF) but I think if rest and sleep helps you recover (even by 1%) then your all good. I'm about 10 weeks into jogging now and I've only just been able to feel fine after and be able to do other things so going to try my luck at jogs on work nights! So good to hear we are not alone. Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Hey Stokie / Sophie,

Just want you to know that for both of you I believe in a great and full recovery still, and to let you know I really empathise with the comments you have made about the fears and the zig-zag nature of the illness.

Take it easy with running, remember not to overdo it and definitely don't try to do things on consecutive days or anything like that. I also want to do some running again but have some fears because of other injuries I've had so just hopeful I can get there too eventually, just need to wait and see though.

Take care and hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

I can relate to all of the above. Everyone seems to have a unique combination of symptoms and progression. The only universal trait, from what I've read on these pages, is that it just plain sucks to go through this. I'm so sorry for those of you who've been battling this virus for close to a year.

The best part of GF so far has been fitting into my skinny pants... and I sold my treadmill last week. No exercise whatsoever and I'm very slim. Just don't ask me to open a jar of pickles! And, when did they start making toothbrush handles out of lead? 😝

Four months of mono, four months off work, and counting...

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Just wanted to offer some encouragement, and agree that it definitely does suck to go through glandular fever! The first four months really can be awful, I know they were for me, and I remember feeling like at that stage that I was never going to get better and that I would have to adapt to a new, lesser way of life.

But Sarah there is a turning point and things do get better, it still took a bit of time after that for me don't get me wrong but eventually your body does get this under control and your resilience will return and you will be able to do things without feeling rotten before, during and after them - it will be a marvellous feeling when it comes!

Just try and remove as much stress as possible, yes wise to stay off work and even when you do go back do it in a phased way, take some good vitamins including a good multi-vitamin and just get plenty of rest - it's hard to live such a boring life I know but it definitely helps in the recovery to do that but also continue to do things such as seeing friends, small things that help de-stress and don't take too much energy out of you - because that all helps too, it's just about being wise and sensible and not overdoing it.

Hang in there I really believe you WILL make a fully recovery Sarah!

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Ah! Your so lucky because I put weight on not moving it's been one of my biggest motivations to get moving and back doing.

Sorry for late reply, I think it shows how back and forth the recovery is because I've had a bad week or two and slowly getting back on track now. It's so dehabilating; you can think you feel stronger and happier and then you'll go three steps backwards.

I'm currently looking into acupressure and acupuncture as I know it an help with chronic fatigue and although I've been labelled with post viral fatigue the symptoms are very similar. Will report back after I have been.

• Posted

Hi,

I have had mono for almost a year and I'm slowly recovering with some ups and some downs. I would love to know how you are doing now about a year after your post? =)

• Posted

I'm working about half time, still dealing with weakness and bouts of nausea. Still can't exercise, but I can open jars of pickles and lift a toothbrush. Month 17...

• Posted

It sounds like you have been through such a tough time Sarah, just want you to know I still believe there is hope for your full recovery today and even though this thing has been bothering you so long, I believe God is healing you and going to bring you into full health again - something is happening I truly believe that and I believe you will see the manifestations soon.

Thinking of you and hang in there - you will get better I 100% believe that.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.