SVT

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am a very fit active male with a healthy lifestyle. My SVT started when a few years ago at 38yrs I started having attacks of dizzy spells which made me feel faint and sick. Getting out of the car, bending down etc. The gaps between attacks varied from none to few time a year. DR, hospital appointment dismissed it as meigran attacks. Six months ago while exercising my HR went from 120-240 instantly, 20 minutes of trying to control my breathing stopped it. When attack had stopped was able to carry on as normal, but went to A&E to be checked out and was referred. One month later another attack when bending down, A&E again and was kept in. Third attack came on will siiting down, felt twinges all day, however this time attack caused loss os feeling in fingers & feet & a headache. Lasted 20-30minutes with tremours afterwards. I am at present under a cardio & electrophysiologist. My ecg indicates a bugarder type 2 pattern. I have been issued with a cario monitor and due to start betablockers. I have been recommended for an EP study/abulation. But unsure what route to go down i.e. meds/inplant recorder or EP study. Has anybody else found attacks to become worse over time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have suffered for three years with SVT. Initially I used to get one attack a month which lasted around twelve hours with my heart rate in excess of over 200. At first I ignored it although it made me feel totally exhausted for days after the attack. After the fourth attack which started at work I went to my GP who knew what it was right away and got me to A and E, my heart rate was running at 240 at the time and had been for 4 hours. I think the shock of being taken to A and E triggered the attack to stop but they kept me in for two days doing various tests and monitoring. I knew I wouldn't have another attack whilst in there as they only happened once a month. I was discharged, referred to a cardiologist and put on sotolol. The attacks became more frequent and I started developing internal body shakes around the heart which no one could explain to me, like vibrations. The only difference was when in an attack was that my heart rate was running at a lower speed of around 140. The sotolol was increased until I was on the max dose of 320 Mlls a day. The side effects were horrendous, I had no quality of life for nine months the attacks were happening daily. I was referred last year to Glenfield who were brilliant and was admitted within a week for the procedure. That was a complete success. The only problem since is that they took me off the sotolol right after the op and about a month after I became seriously ill with massive heart vibrations, feelings constantly that someone was squeezing and shaking my heart at full pelt and feeling very very ill to the point that I felt that I really didn't want to carry on, and I am a strong willed unflapple person. I was experiencing massive withdrawal from sotolol. I was put back on sotolol 160 Mlls daily and within two days started to feel better. I have been told that my svt was a complete success although I have been constantly unwell sinse having the procedure. This appears to be due to the severe withdrawal after the op. two weeks ago it was decided to take me off sotolol and put me on a new drug which is slow releasing and which I will hopefully eventually be able to come off. In the past two weeks, again I have felt ill, had internal body shakes, small svt attacks, usually lasting only 20 mins but at a much lower heart rate whilst my system adjusts to not having sotolol which could take several months. My immune system with everything that has happened since the op is virtually non existent. I would still recommend the op route though but make sure after you don't go through what I've been through and still going through.

• Posted

Hi Muriel I'm on sotolol and have been since July I'm too at glenfield waiting a ablation as my svt been getting worse I want to ask you about sotolol I see in your case the attacks didn't stop I'm hoping sotolol for me will help keep them away I'm just feeling bit crap on the medication get sluggish and tired can I ask did you feel at all low on sotolol .

• Posted

Attacks can get worse over time and everyone's symptoms are different all a monitor will do is diagnoise the svt and record any heart rhythem symptoms ect ..... Medication is again everyone different I was on bisopolol and candersartan which after every hospital cardioversion Shock was increased .... I'm not on different medication as bisopolol didn't keep my svt away I'm waiting a ablation also . I myself have to be hospitalised when I have svt as they don't stop until I'm put to sleep and shocked they come in suddenly and the adenosine fails to stop them . I seemed to have had a attack and had more after I'm told once you have svt it's high risk you will have another and although I've only had this problem for 12 months mine seem to of got worse .

• Posted

I am on another medication now ... Just noticed I miss spelt putting in not by mistake .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.