Swelling??

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my rthr on 5th jan so early days still i know,what im a bit concerned about is the swelling in my right leg! I've had trouble with bad pain in my knee since i was in the hosp but a doc said its prob where my hip pain has now gone and im now starting to feel pain where all the other joints were being used wrong etc. Bellow my knee is fine usual size but above the stockings my knee is like an elephants! and my thigh is also slightly swollen.i honestly feel at the mo like im taking the painkillers for my knee as my hip is no problem pain wise.is bad swelling usual?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes. And then some! I have a badly swollen right ankle from another issue, and about six weeks after the op, I wondered why my left shoe was so loose. Turns out that the combined efforts of the arthritis, then the op, my left  ankle actually was swollen but I never noticed due to the right ankle being so bad. I dropped down a whole shoe width! 

Swelling is a natural defence against injury, and your body treats surgery as injury. Don't worry. It'll go down in its own time.

• Posted

I do hope so beth its so umcomfortable especially trying to sleep.
    • Posted

Hi kel

This is normal don't worry just elevate your leg and use an ice pack it will go down eventually, my knee and thigh were massive then it went down to my ankle so had a massive cankle!! Also make sure you are resting too

It's a journey this healing process but worth it you will soon if not already see the benefits of the op x

Keep positive you doing so well xxxxx

• Posted

Hi kel, 

This is part of the healing process and can last for several weeks -

?Well, there are many reasons why swelling occurs

You are 10 days post-op from a major invasive surgery where the tissues were cut, handled and pulled around can make fluid build up in the hours afterwards. 

Healing the damages will increase blood and lymph flow to afflicted site so there is increased circulation bringing plentiful blood cells, plasma and lymph into the area to supply nutrition and oxygen - all needed for the creation of scar and normal tissue... 

the build-up fluid then needs to be drained ...

Swelling started at top of my leg and then made it down to my ankle where it lingered for weeks -

You might want to ice and elevate your leg ... are you still on bloodthinners?

It is okay to take painkillers for any pain you have, darling .... the pills don't care ...

tender loving care and patience

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee can I just ask when u had ur op please just a question I wanted to ask hope u don't mind

Thank you

Kerry

• Posted

hi kerry, 

I had my 1st THR surgery in March 2015 and 2nd one September 2015 - so yeah, quite a while ago ..

I didn't find this forum until 3 weeks post-op from 1 sth THR when I had so many questions - I felt sort of abandoned - 

I am still here because I have not figured out yet what to do with my life ... (long story)

How are you doing, darling?

• Posted

I had my op 7 weeks ago still a bit stiff and sore but I've been getting awful pains in my right knee now although I am waiting to go back to the consultant because my foot and knee are out of alignment like u long story but I just wondered if u had suffered with any knee pain at all after having ur hips done thank you my darling for answering my questions xx

• Posted

Hi Kel

It's very early days for you yet.

I had swollen knee for wks then my ankle /foot was swollen for about 6 /7 mths. My ankle still gets sore when I've overdone it. You'll get there, just take it slowly.

Brenda xx

• Posted

Thankyou everybody!thank heavens for this forum otherwise im sure most of us wouldn't know whats right and wrong after surgery.

• Posted

You are so right about that!! I wish I had found this forum right after my surgery. It took me 4 months to return to work, assisted by a cane until I my walk stopped being so weak and just in case I might need support if needed. I had my left THR a little over a year ago. My doctor was adamant on me always exercising, even if it was painful. I knew that strengthening of the adjacent muscles would help me and I Googled the hell out of the subject, searching for answers and exercises to follow on my own because the health care system only provided for 10 twenty minute home sessions. The rest I had to follow on my own. The swelling will go away dear. Rest your operated leg and don't over do it. It's a radical operation, of course you are going to swell and have pain. Get well real soon 😊.

• Posted

Hi Kel, as everyone has said, the swelling is normal. When my knee was really swollen above my Ted sock, the hospital told me to not wear the sock during the day, just at night. When I did that it was better, just general swelling. Like the others have said, elevate legs, especially in the evening, and use ice / cold pack. Good luck.
  • Posted

Perfectly normal Kel, were you advised to go to bed every afternoon for 2 hours. I was told to do this no matter if you slept or not. Really good at moving the fluid and reduce swelling. Every time I had my rest at the end of it I needed the looand as the saying goes peed for England. X
    • Posted

No not advised to go to bed every afternoon.

Yes i know what you mean by peed for england! Where on earth does it all come from!!

• Posted

Hi do have a question or two..my legs sweet by knees and turn red especially if I'm over doing a lot of walking..I also have a hard time to pee whether....when I'm laying or sitting I have to go bad but when I'm on toilet nothing or small amount...I've had a ultrasound of leg no problem n I usually get kidney stones or infection but nothing..I'm wondering if it's from him severe groin pain...if anyone can help but have or had it..do you think it's from hip n pressure..thanks my friends...I didn't even have surgery yet...

• Posted

hi kathy , 

doesn't sound so good to me and good for you to have it checked out ..

I can;t answer your question, sweetheart ... what were you told by your doctor(s) ?  has it been a problem for you before?

Maybe you want to start your own discussion/thread so more members can respond, okay ...

take care,

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.