Swelling

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am almost 4 weeks since TKR. Excercises going well and Physio is pleased with my my progress.

I have however a major problem with swelling not only in my leg but my foot and ankle too. Am icing a lot to help with discomfort. I am in the UK and, yes we are in the midst of a heatwave which is not helping.

Anyone had or is having this problem?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had major swelling which caused bruising for the first three weeks after TKR and still have some at 5 weeks post-op.  I am told to elevate, elevate, elevate that leg.  We all heal differently, but you sound to be in the normal range.
  • Posted

I would agree, keep your leg elevated whenever you can. Also try to massage as well, works wonders.
  • Posted

Im the same and im 4 wk into tkr.ive icepacked n taking tablets but the swelling stiil there n the achy feeling.it dont help as ive scaring on my calf from cellulitus which iz stopping me from be ding it that far.x
  • Posted

Hi, I am in the UK and about a week and half behind you! I'm doing everything our lovely forum friends suggest, and for the swelliing definitely the only way I keep it in check is ice, elevate and rest. Also drinking copious amounts of water which is supposed to be good for all aspects. If it keeps up, check with the GP, I think. 

Glad you are progressing well other than that - I keep telling myself everyone is different but dont know how to judge how I am doing, I think I'm great on extension and quad exercises, not so great witht the bend but hopefully that will come.

Wishing you a better evening and night.Susie

• Posted

Thanks Susie. You too

The exercises are a doddle it's just the swelling and tight sensation but then again the weather doesn't help

Take care

• Posted

I am just over 5 months after my TKR and mine is still swollen, I was told by my consultant that the swelling could last for up to 18 months.  My knee constantly feels like it is in a brace and very tight :-(
    • Posted

were about in the same boat, had mine done march 14, yes it stills swells and stiffens and pain to boot!  my rom is only 105 and ext 4, however better than a few weeks ago, so i keep trucking along hoping for better numbers and less ssp (swelling, stiffness and pain).  oh, and yes my knee feels the same as yours.... we'll get there.... heres hoping for the best for you, kathy p

• Posted

Dawnsusan

having been down this road my advice would be to keep leg elevated whenever possible and plenty of ice - I found frozen peas worked well - be patient it takes 3 months to get back to any kind normality

best wishes 

Jude uk

• Posted

I had the same problem. My pt said it has to do with the way fluid is transferred up your leg. He suggested plumbing you foot  up and down periodically during the day.   It does go away as your leg gets stronger. Icing and elevatinfoes half. Cathy
  • Posted

Anyone know were you can buy them water cuffs you fill with cold water to put roynd your knee for swelling at?xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.