Swelling around the thigh

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 16 weeks post op and have been having a swelling emanating from the top of my thigh down towards the knee. It aches mor than hurts. Am I doing  too much or is it something more sinister?

hilary

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you be more specific where it is exactly?

Is it the front of your leg, or the outside or inside of your leg?

Where is your scar, front of your leg, the side of your leg or accross the butt?

• Posted

The top of my leg is bigger than the good leg and ends it's thickness above the knee. We are massarging it daily which helps so I wonder if my arteries/veins are blocked or whether it is the prosthesis .

• Posted

My scar is across my bottom but well healed
  • Posted

Hi Hilary ... how big is the swelling? I am 15 weeks post op and right, operated, leg is still a bit swollen and tender to the touch --- I think it is part of the healing process - lot of repair still going on ... muscles and bone etc ... it is a big surgery ... muscles around my knee are protesting a lot now ... 

all and all, we are getting there ... just have to be more patient -

however ... if you are worried that something sinister is going on, make an appointment with GP or surgeon ... better safe than sorry ...

take it easy and be gentle with your self ... 

warm hug 

• Posted

Hi

thanks for the comment Renee. I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this and then you realise that it is just the healing bit.it is a big op so will rest up a bit but will also try the stationary bike to see if I can keep the blood flowing a bit better.  Hilary

• Posted

Hi hilary, sorry to hear about your swelling problems, did you have blood thinners after your op? usually they give you prepared and sealed shots to take home and you do it yourself for 12 weeks, also if it's just swelling with no pain it's probably the inside healing itself, but if you develop a fever or the ache turns into real pain and it turns red the it should be ok, but as Renee said, if you are not happy go see your FP.

good luck, you will get there, I'm nearly 8 months out and still get aches,

Lynne 

• Posted

Hi

yes I did have thinners and have not had too many problems.  My feet swell if I am on them too long and I do pack a lot in a day. So think I just need to pace myself but thanks for writing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.