Swelling hand

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I am in my 4th year with RA.  I am taking MTX, folic acid and started Oriencia 5 month ago. My right has been swollen for at least 3 months, not only is it slightly swollen but the palm part under the knuckles stays sore and red.  I have noticed that if I don,t use my right hand very much it goes down somewhat and it's not so red ( my left hand has a bit of swelling betweeen the index and middle finger, but that's it, so I find that I am using my left hand more. Taking Avil helps take some of the swelling down.  2 nights ago I woke up to my hand hurting so bad that I had to get up. I put ice and heat, took a pain pill and stayed up till morning.  Applied heat and ice off and on all day plus pain pills and by today it is somewhat better. Right now it's not very bad but I have not used it at all today. Although it is still sore in the palm area under the knuckles. I hope you all understand all this. Question, has anybody had a problem like this where one hand is so very painful and the other on isn't? I also take 2 mg. Prednisone.  Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if it will help but I take 5 mg prednisone daily. I HATE taking it but everyone I wean off, I'm back to pain. Might be time to check with your Rheumatologist. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi steelctygirl, you know it's so interesting about prednisone, I have been on 2 mg for quite awhile and the other day after I got my treatment I thought about trying to drop one of the pills. I did not do that and took my regular 2 mg and had the pain that ruined my sleep.  I guess I shouldnt let my brain think that way, lol

• Posted

You're right Jo. I've only had RA since April & I learn something everyday. For instance, RA is an adventure I could live without. Remember we are all so different when it comes to this disease. Take your doctors advise BUT listen to your body. I hope you are pain free soon. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Jo66120,

Sorry you are feeling all this pain. I've had RA for 8 years now and I can surely relate to the pain. It does get worse at night. I know they usually say that food has nothing to do with it but let me tell you personally that I have cut out sugar, meat and dairy from my diet and I have never felt better. Try starting your day with a fresh juice with lots of greens and ginger. This will give you a massive boost. Try 3 day fasting which will help your body get rid of the toxics.

Hope your pain eases up all the very best to you.

Cheers

MK

• Posted

Yes, for some reason my right hand, right knee and left ankle are the worse.  So it doesn't mean that both are going to be affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.