Swelling in ankle 8 weeks after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, Ruptured my achilles 8 weeks ago, had surgery followed by 2 weeks in plaster and then 6 weeks in a walker boot. Removed 1 heel lift every two weeks and just now been cleared to remove the boot and can carefully begin to walk in a shoe again. 

Been having PT every week and doctor was very very pleased with how well musclemass had returned and with my flexibity. Physio is now on holiday so im on my own for a bit.

However 5 days after removing the boot my ankle is very swollen now. I never noticed it being like this while using the boot and am concerned there is something not right. Have no pain so im not super worried, but would like to know if this is normal or if its something to worry about. 

Anyone else had anything similar?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pit - I think this happens to lots of people. The boot supports you and takes some of the weight. Out of the boot - all the weight is back to foot with bad tendon. Little and often movement. Keep foot raised to reduce swelling ( ice pack ) before next attempt of walking. I believe gradually things get better. Similarly I had op cast 8 weeks when I switched from cast to boot ( my foot swelled up ) gradually it got better.

Looks like your surgeon is using aggressive recovery method.

I'm off to see surgeon today hope I get all clear for full weight bearing too. I'm still in boot and crutches.

• Posted

Ps if you feel swelling isn't going down best to contact doctor for advice. I shared what I learnt from others only.

• Posted

Thats kinda what im thinking. I guess the foot/ankle is under a lot of strain all of a sudden. Trying to keep it up and not use it too much.
    • Posted

Yeah its been pretty aggressive recovery but I was in tip top shape before it happened and the prognisis was for a fast recovery so l kinda liked the idea of aggressive.  Felt really stable when i got it out of the boot but it swelled up after a few days of walking. Gonna keep it up and massage it lots until my physio gets back from holiday. 

How long have you been in a walker now then?

• Posted

Hey bud.

Had my boot off 2 weeks now. Was at physio yesterday and mentioned my swelling to her. She wasn't concerned at all. She'd just had a patient who was 5 weeks ahead of me (I'm at 12 or 13 weeks) and he still had swelling.

She said the calf muscle isn't working as well so blood isn't being pumped around as it should. And is normal.

I'm still walking with pain and therefor a limp. But after physio and stretching I felt great. I'm a member of a gym so just trying to get there during the week as well as physio.

• Posted

Cool i guess all is normal then :-)

Physio works wonders doesnt it. I'm luckily pain free now but its mega tight when i strech my toes up. Which means i've got a bit of a limp. But the swelling is making it all a bit tighter. Trying to keep it up during the evenings and getting the wife to massage it ;-)

What kind of excersises are you doing now then? 

• Posted

The best one I do is actually just standing on a balance beam (upside down bench). I have something to hold on to if needed. But putting the injured foot behind my good foot really causes it to stretch and it felt great afterwards. I've then just been doing the leg press in the gym and she started me doing the leg press but kind of on my tip toes to work the calves - but very cautiously. Also started on the cross trainer (had been on the bike), but if you go backwards on the cross trainer it works the calf muscle. A couple of times doing that I got carried away and it hurt.

I'm just home from a day at work and it's really swollen. Can barely see my ankle. 

Long recovery ahead!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.