Swimming after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 17 weeks post op bilateral TKR. Have gone to PT 3x/wk up until3 weeks ago..,,now 1x/wk. I have just started doing water exercises in a local salt water pool. Yesterday I also tried kicking my legs using a kick board. My legs would not stay up....in other words could not slash with my feet on the surface of the water. Has anyyekse experienced this?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce, I am nearly 6 months post op on a partial knee replacement. I tried swimming recently and I have had a big shock. I had the same happen to me where my leg just doesn't seem to want to stay up. I used to be like a fish in the water and swimming was one of my main forms of exercise but I have been so disappointed. I think it is to do with the muscles. They need strengthening. I had a scare in the sea recently that has really knocked my confidence regarding going back to swimming where I felt really out of control and was very scared. Also breastroke is an absolute no,no. I don't know if our knees are supposed to do that action after knee surgery or not, but mine won't. All I can suggest is to keep up your muscle strengthening exercises and hopefully all will be well. Susan x
    • Posted

I am seven months post Tkr and have just come back from holiday abroad.  I could do breast stroke no problem but no front crawl, you're right legs done want to stay up...lol
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. Was back in pool after six weeks but no breast stroke for another six weeks.

I tried using a float but it did not really help.

Sarah

• Posted

I swam about 5.5 months after surgery. I don't recall that sort of an issue, but I did notice that kicking was tricky and I needed to be sure not to twist. I enjoy the breast stroke, but the frog kick was a bit of a challenge because of the movement. And as far as the crawl went, I had to be more cautious on the position of my body when I kicked. If it was slightly turned and my knee twisted, there was pain. Instead I stuck to more deep water treading. Or doing the breast stroke with the crawl kick. smile
  • Posted

i didnt know that it would be a problem !!!!!!!!!!! its the one thing i wanted to learn as ive never learned looks like i wont be able to put swimming on my bucket list !! amazing that in all the information we got not a mention of this
    • Posted

I was talking to a PT I know who also taught swimming lessons today....She said that my legs sunk down when I was attempting to kick because they are too weak to go at the speed necessary to stay up. She also said I should use a flotation device on my back which would help. So I will try that next.
  • Posted

Is there a good time to start swimming after TKR?  I'm 6 weeks and have finished physio, and he mentioned going but more to do the exercises in the water, and then said "but not yet". The conversation moved to something else and I forgot to query it.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

You want to make absolutely sure that your incisions are completely healed. At 6 weeks there could still some part of the scar that is no completely healed. Not worth chancing infection, that is why I waited unt at least 3 months. My PT said I could go earlier, but I didn't want to chance it.

• Posted

Thanks Joyce.  I haven't been swimming for years and thought it would help, but at the same time I wouldn't want to do any harm!
  • Posted

I am 7wks post tkr and went back to Aquasize yesterday.  I was amazed that I could only manage to do it for about 15mins before I was totally shattered. I have been wearing a flotation belt around my back and working in deep water since my knee became really bad,(about 1 year) . It is so good because I can do the exercises without bearing weight on my legs. several people with hip or knee problems wear these at my class. 
  • Posted

I had a bilateral knee replacement abt 4 months ago.

doing very well. I am working out, playing golf, etc.

my legs still get stiff. One is worse than the other and they

swell abit after heavy activity. No real pain, just stieff. Looking for those that are past my 4 months and talk about when it all starts to fade.Many have said 6 months. Thoughts? Thanks. Great website

• Posted

I am at 4 months post op bilateral TKR also..tomorrow! I hope u r right that there will be relief with the stiffness at 6 months. I have seen improvement though. My real issue is the soft tissue of my left leg...with calf pain and a tight IT band. Though even with this, improvement is happening....just slower than I expected. Expectations will get you every time!
    • Posted

I'm a little over 8 months and there is still considerable stiffness when I keep my knees in one position too long. Some of the numbness is starting to fade though.
  • Posted

I am almost one year out from having TKR on both knees same time (crazy? yes). I am a big swimmer and the first time in the pool my legs did not help much in swimming, that was 3 months ago NOW my legs are doing much better, to help build the muscles I use swim fins, they are shorter than normal ones, and now my legs are doing better and feel much better without the swim fins. Though I will say like walking it does take a bit to get those legs going and it does get better. So try using fins it will help in keeping the legs up, remember to kick from the hips and not do a lot of knee bending when kicking. Good luck

Trish

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.