swollen legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else with graves suffer with swollen legs. Thus first started a couple of years ago when it was really bad. I'm now stabilising for the third time but still getting some swelling if I'm on my feet a lot. The

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My doctor said it can happen. I don't know if it's hyperthyroidism or a reaction from the nedication. It should be reported, to your doctor anyway so that's a good time to ask.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I've noticed a few references to it but it's not a common symptom with hyper but can also occur with hypo I think. I have told the doctors already but they seem to think it will improve as I stabilise.
  • Posted

While being hyper I experienced swollen lower legs. This would happen typically towards the evening. It was so bad that I could not wear shoes or slippers and I had to raise my legs.

Luckily for me I noticed that it always got worse shortly after taking Propranolol. That's why I stopping taking Propranolol and found that the swelling reduced considerably. (Just to be safe, I also informed my GP and I kept monitoring my heart rate to make sure it does not get too high.) 

It helped me a lot to lie on my back with the feet raised on a pillow. You can also try to massage your feet/legs (while lying down and lifting one leg slightly)  by forming a tight circle with your thumbs and index fingers and pulling the 'circle' along your leg starting at the toes. 

• Posted

Swollen legs are what got me to see my Dr and from there I was diagnosed with Graves Disease.  I had all the symptoms but the swollen legs sorta forced me to go see my primary Dr...I thought it was heart related.  I've been on medication now for a year and haven't had swollen legs since. 
    • Posted

It's reassuring to know others have experienced this distressing symptom and some have had it much worse than me. I hope mine settles when I'm propertly stabilised. Thank you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.