swollen legs and ankles---peripheral edema

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello i am a 31 year old male. past 2 months i have noticed my legs have swollen plus ankles now past 2 weeks my legs have become weak and my knee joints hurt when i walk up and down the stairs. i was squatting earlier and almost could not stand back up. when i put socks and trainers on i feel how tight the fit has become and the socks leave a big indentaion round ankle. not gone doctors yet. also feel very tired more than normal and much more depressed. not really asking for any thing just wanted to put it in words as i don't talk to any one about any thing.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I can identify with everything you just said.  That said, however, you are very young to be having such.  I would ask if you think you have a good doctor?  I would hope he would check by doing some simple tests for heart and kidney to be sure those don't play a part in the swelling, the fatigue, and yes, the depression which certainly can be a part.  If you haven't had any of the symptoms before which you mentioned, I hope you make an appointment.  Hope you feel better soon and can find some answers.

• Posted

today i feel quite unwell palpitations and sweatting a little shaky
    • Posted

I am wondering if you have an appointment with a doctor to check on the heart and kidneys?  You mentioned palpatations and shakey, neither of which any of us can tolerate much of, nor should we.  Don't give up because there may be a simpler answer to some of this.  You won' t know until they examine you further to sort this out.  Keep trying!

• Posted

i am 76 and my ankles have started swelling, am not over weight and am reasonably fit do my gardening and house, i put mine down to the hot weather we are having at present
    • Posted

I have heard of this, blaming the hot weather, however, it has never happened to me before.  I am 81 years of age.  My doctor says it is lymphadema.  If you look it up, you will find there are 2 kinds, primary and secondary.  Mine is secondary.  At present I am having tests to satisfy my mind that it isn't heart or kidney.  Thank you for your input.  I do appeciate any communication.

• Posted

I don't know about the meds right now, however, I'm really glad you mentioned them.  I will surely keep in contact with this discussion.  You are taking such good care of your mom.  Good that you have checked out the heart with some of the tests.  Have you also checked with kidney tests?  Thanks for this.

• Posted

thanks for the prompt reply.goodpoint regarding kidney tests. however the gp didn't suggest it.however i would bring it up to her.My mom is also diagnsoed type 2 diabetic. she didn't want to take any meds for it so the gp gave her 3 months window to lower her blood glucose and it might reverse the situation. in the last year she is suffering from this ankle /peripheral edema but subsides easily when i give her 1/2 tablet of furosemide. now that she is having blood glucose issues, this might be hte reason it takes a while for the swelling to subside. i've notice that she now suffers from confusion and very difficult to handle due to her stubborn nature. caught her hiding some lollies inher drawers.i don't know how to tell her without hurting her feelings.no matter how brutally frank i tell her how bad the sweets are for her she would always have alibis or tries to reason out.stories such as during WWll people were deprived of sugar, and her brain needed sugar too. oh well this might be very long now. thanks for your help.appreciate it .

• Posted

I've already replied to her so will just be checking back on this discussion .  I have perpheral edema and we're in the process of attempting to find out why this is happening at my age of 81 years, when I've never had it to this point.  Any of my heart and kidney tests don't help to explainit - yet.  I'll keep trying because it is an aggravating condition.  

• Posted

2 weeks a go all my lower legs came up in a really itchy red rash i looks as though i'd been in the sun for a week it lasted around 2 weeks but has started to fade now still swollen gets and they are week and tight joints

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.