Symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Husband contracted polio at the age of 2 in 1956. In 1969 he had corrective scoliocis surgery. Over the years he has many different health conditions e.g. mitral valve repair, severe muscle and back ache. At no time has nay medial professional linked his condiitons to polio. Last week he was diagnosed with COPD but has never smoked. After reading a lot of comments on here about PPS I believe this is what he may have and attribute some of his health to this. Why do our GP's and NHS consultants seem to be unaware of these links? When he had scoliosis they said it was linked to rheumatic fever (which he has not had) no to Polio. He has also had bouts of depression, tiredness, loss of appetite. Where can we get help?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had Polio when I was 3years old.  After a very active life I too started to have many symptoms. Many my back & weakness.  Whilst having a very bad time with my pain I read an article about the British Polio Society & Post Polio, it could have been written by me!  I eventually went to see a consultant at the Lane Fox Unit at St Thomas' Hospital & was diagnosed with Post Pilio Syndrome.  It took me many years for my GP to acknowledge my diagnosise.  
  • Posted

Me again!  I would encourage you to get in touch with the Polio Society they have so much expertise.  Good yuck.
    • Posted

Thank you for for response. We will certainly try and find a consultant in the greater manchester/cheshire are who can diagnose this
  • Posted

Hi I noticed this was 9 months ago any update as to whether your hubby has received diagnosis and help..All his symptoms seems to be linked to post polio.
    • Posted

Yes he has had a diagnosis. He has just had 2 ct scans and neuropyhsiology test to determine where the weakness in the muscles are.

He is also trying to get back his benefits that were taken off him 2 years ago when deemed fit for work following 2 failed tribunal hearings where all his benefit was stopped but he was not offered  ay support. we have also found out that because his NI contributions also stopped this will affect his future pension entitlement. One fight after another!!

• Posted

Yes he has had a diagnosis. He has just had 2 ct scans and neuropyhsiology test to determine where the weakness in the muscles are.

He is also trying to get back his benefits that were taken off him 2 years ago when deemed fit for work following 2 failed tribunal hearings where all his benefit was stopped but he was not offered  ay support. we have also found out that because his NI contributions also stopped this will affect his future pension entitlement. One fight after another!!

• Posted

Oh am glad to hear, it is an terrible struggle for us all just take one day at a time, that's what I try to do otherwise it can get you down....take care,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.