Symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I'm a 53 y.o. female. I've recently been diagnosed with Hughes syndrome (an autoimmune disorder that makes your blood clot abnormally, amongst other things and also is known as antiphospholipid antibody syndrome). Also fibromyalgia and autoimmune thyroid disease. I have many symptom of A.S. I've had the eye infections, foot problems, the HLA-B27 gene. I have degenerative discs and bone spurs in my neck and lower back, chronic hip pain and a bum shoulder. I've also had a lot of foot problems, which is also characteristic of AS.. However I was recently xrayed aND my doctor said that I don't have the specific type of degeneration in my sacroileac joints. I'm thinking WTF. I have a hard time believing all this pain is just fibromyalgia. I am at a loss regarding all this. I'm wondering what symptoms you all have and what u think about my situation. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello JenlnCali...feel for you as I know it is difficult to understand how the pain is so bad. It is typical that you have hip pain which I feel is due to the degenerative discs in your lower back and also the neck problems can cause shoulder and arm pain, weakness in fingers and ditto toes with the lumbar disc problems. It does sound like AS to me...but it seems that some doctors start off by calling it fibromyalgia. It happened to me too. Have you had your legs measured....one of mine is 2 cm shorter than the other and one doctor recommended that I wear special shoes....but what I have done is put an insert into the shoe on my right foot to try to balance out the problem...it does seem to help. Also hot compresses where the pain is worse have helped me...I hope this will help you too...Have you had an MRI...this will show far more than an XRay can...
    • Posted

Thanks Gloria. I recall being diagnosed with scoliosis in my 20s when I was having pain in the thoracic part of my spine. The PT said I DO have one leg longer than the other and one hip higher than the other. She also said my shoulders are at different heights. I'm seeing the rheumatologist again in 3 weeks to follow up on the fibromyalgia treatment. He did offer me an MRI maybe I'll take him up on it.

• Posted

Hi again...yes do the MRI and you will be able to see everything I think what scoliosis does is it makes us "lop-sided" lol..so our bodies try to compensate for the difference..actually over compensate. So we subconsciously lean to one side and then it affects more joints. Fibromyalgia maybe just a symptom not the original cause. Good luck with your quest to relieve your pain. If you get the right treatment and medication things will get better.

• Posted

Hi AS is not diagnosed from x-rays alone. I think you need a skilled rheumatologist
    • Posted

Thank you. I really think I have more than fibro too. I also get pain in my ribs, especially when I breathe. Another symptom of AS. Maybe I'll get another opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.